What Kind Of Electric Amp Do You Use?

Started by HangFire, April 01, 2004, 02:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man!  That's big picture you got there Jim S... :unsure:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Here's a pic of my Matchless Clubman 35.  It's the loudest 35 watts I've ever heard.  I bought this thing in 1995, had to special order it with the turquoise and black tolex.  Jimmy Vaughn was having all three of his green Clubmen made at the same time.

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

QuoteMan!  That's big picture you got there Jim S... :unsure:
Big picture for big tone and big purchase price.

;)

Actually, I was negligent for not resizing to a more user friendly number of pixels or bytes. Sorry.
I <3 POW

QuoteMan!  That's big picture you got there Jim S... :unsure:

;)

So what are the specs for that thing, and what does something like that set you back? :o  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

QuoteMan!  That's big picture you got there Jim S... :unsure:

;)

So what are the specs for that thing, and what does something like that set you back? :o
The Soldano SLO head is 2 ch 100 watts and the X99 is all tube preampwith 128 channels switched by servo controlled motors. Very cool. When you change channels the knobs move in real time. Best of all is the great tone, superb gain, and it's extremely quiet with great s/n.

I bought the SLO head direct from Mike Soldano around 1990 for approximately $2200. That was just before he sold through stores. Now the same rack mount head would cost about $3500 or so.  THe X99 cost about $2k also but I got it used on Ebay for a very good price in 1999.  I've had the SLO for almost 15 years: no problems, very consistent tone.
I <3 POW

Man, that sounds like a monster amp, what kind of speakers are you using?
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

Soldano 4x12 with Soldano speakers: good low end with tamed high end

Sometimes...Daedelus 2x10 with EV Force 10s  1/2 open 1/2 closed cab: very open sounding
I <3 POW

Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulclass Combo (circa 1987) with 3/4 Closed Extension Cab with a 12" speaker, and a Holy Grail Reverb pedal. The overdrive on this amp is great.

The amp can run at 15Watts, or 100Watts, weighs about 90 lbs (ugh!!), and is something I'll never replace. Need to get a dolly though so I can move the sucker around.

-Chuck

QuoteMesa Boogie Mark III Simulclass Combo (circa 1987) with 3/4 Closed Extension Cab with a 12" speaker, and a Holy Grail Reverb pedal. The overdrive on this amp is great.

The amp can run at 15Watts, or 100Watts, weighs about 90 lbs (ugh!!), and is something I'll never replace. Need to get a dolly though so I can move the sucker around.

-Chuck
I used to own a Mark II (circa 1982) one of the first to sport the black tolex and wicker cane grill, with matching open extension cab.  Two matching EV-SRO 12 speakers, talk about weighing a ton!  It was the 100/60 watt with reverb, and graphic eq.  That thing was really loud and HEAVY, can't believe all the gigs I would carry that thing to. (whew!) :o
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW