Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee D-05 pickup info???  (Read 527 times)
cuddlesnichol

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:46:58 PM »

Hi! just wiondering if i could get an explanation of the controls on my pickup-- I play Gospel music -just wondring what settings is best when I play in front of a church audience. can someone give me a clear explanation of: top of controls where it says UST and AST; 2 buttons you can turn(0- 15 range n DEP) 100-330 on N FRE) and finally the PHASE button that you can press in. what's the preferred setting would you suggest for my particular style of music? thanks so much for any help given.
maxferry

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 03:21:34 PM »

Hi there; is this a stock set-up or was it added later? It would help to know which pickup you have, although the terminology you quote sounds like B-Band.

AST=Acoustic Soundboard transducer
UST=UnderSaddle transducer

These controls would likely be for the relative level, allowing you to mix them in whatever proportion suits you. Generally, you would use the UST to get your basic level, since it is the most feedback resistant, and then you would blend in the amount of AST in to open up the tone...give a more natural, woody sound.

The other controls sound like a notch filter, for taming spiky feedback frequencies:

n DEP...sounds like notch Depth, or how much cut you want at the selected frequency.
n FRE...sounds like Notch Frequency, where you select the frequency to cut, sweepable from 100 to 300 cycles. This sounds a bit low frequency to me and I would expect the selection to be a bit more in the midrange, but then, I'm not looking at it. It might be to tame that "woof" (proximity effect) that condensers are known for.

These are general terms, and I'm inferring quite a bit here, but give it a try and see if it makes sense now. Good luck.

I almost forgot to add...the phase switch is to place the two pickups/sources in or out of phase with each other. This is sometimes used to reduce feedback, although they also gut the tone quite a bit. I personally find them semi-useless, and prefer to have the sources in phase at all times...it just sounds better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: