replacing 12 string tuning machines

Started by jwb, March 01, 2007, 05:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everybody...

I recently got my hands on a 1974 Guild G212 12 string that is in perfect shape except for the tuning machines.  They are old open back tuners, and although they look in good working order they are VERY hard to turn.  I put new strings on her last night and could hardly play after I finished because my hands were so sore from all the wrestling with the darn things.  Oil doesn't seem to help...the good news is that the guitar sounds amazing.  Those old Guilds are truly something special.

I would like to put some new tuners on it, but don't have experience doing this on a 12 string.  The tuners are spaced very close together and need to have small buttons, and I would like to keep the old vintage open back style.  Any suggestions?  The original tuners are all mounted together on the same strip, six to a side.  Will I have to find originals????

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

To be honest, I developed a very bad taste for open-back tuners for this very reason; I rarely ever played a guitar with these that didn't have tuning issues. I suppose you could go with a set of Waverlys...I see these on very high-end guitars, and they're expensive tuners so I suppose there must be a good reason. I have to admit to some bias in this regard.

Personally, I would look into a nice set of Schaller minis, Gotohs or something similar; I just like knowing that, going forward, tuning issues are one less thing to worry about with a good set of sealed tuners. Just make sure that the post/ferrule diameter matches the ones you're replacing so you don't have to do any reaming.

Thanks Max...I don't like the open backed tuners much either.  I was trying to keep as true to original as possible, but you got me thinking that maybe I should look at sealed ones instead.  They do hold up and function better for the long run.

I've been doing some looking on the web and it looks like I need to get tuning machines made specifically for a 12 string.  I've found some Grovers that look very similar to what's on the Guild now...all mounted on the same backing strip, six to a side.  These may be just what the doctor ordered...
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")