String poll found searching the old threads.

Started by imwjl, February 19, 2007, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I found a poll done a while back, and I was not surprised by the high showing for D'Adarrios, surprised by the low showing for Cleartones that come on the Larrivees and I was also surprised to see one vote for Ernie Ball.

Have the Cleartones become more popular with time? My own habits have been D'Addarios for many years, but I do see the long life of the Cleartones that came on my guitar. When I look at price I almost wonder if the webstrings.com approach (haven't tried them yet) is the answer.

So would some of you give Cleartones a higher vote now?

I'm feeling adventurous and want to try something different because I'm about to put my last strings on my Strat and I have one pack of EJ16s left for my two acoustics. A friend wants to try webstrings.com electric strings, so I might try them one way or another.

Anybody try Firewires? If I recall they are not coated, but boast long life.

Sorry if this wastes bandwidth, or creates a flame fest.

I think most people still prefer the elixers they used to come with over Cleartones. I think the cleartones sound bad and feel even worse. They feel like they have the most friction of any string I've used. The cleartones take alot of 'body' away from the sound. I like EJ-16s on the spruce/mahogany models and Martin 80/20s on hog/hog and spruce/rosewood.

I think if I were dissatisfied wth the Elixir nanowebs, I might be inclined to give Cleartones a try, but I have heard several bad reports on them, so I'm skeptical. Maybe they'll do another promo giveaway and I'll give it a shot (hint, hint, Phil and/or Don).

I used the silk-wrapped Martin Marquis for many years, and D'Angelicos before that. Both were great-sounding strings, and louder/fuller sounding when new than the Elixirs, but they would roll off and sound like rubber bands after only a few hours of playing, where the Elixirs last me for weeks, and still sound pretty good even when they're thrashed. I also like the compromise they have struck regarding the texture; I like the slight slipperiness and reduced string squeak of the nanos over the extreme slickness of the polys, and I now hate the feel of uncoated strings...why fight it?

Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 19, 2007, 11:14:28 AM
I think most people still prefer the elixers they used to come with over Cleartones. I think the cleartones sound bad and feel even worse. They feel like they have the most friction of any string I've used. The cleartones take alot of 'body' away from the sound. I like EJ-16s on the spruce/mahogany models and Martin 80/20s on hog/hog and spruce/rosewood.

You might be more right on the Cleartone friction than I thought. I put extra light D'Addario on my Ovation to ease playing for my 76 y.o. mother, and was playing it yesterday and my Strat today after the Larrivee (with a month out of the Cleartones), and while different animals they were very slippery compared to the Larrivee with aged Cleartones. The Clear tones do get credit for lasting longer than I am used to.

I think I should put the last EJ16s I have on the Larrivee just as a point of reference because I've used D'Addario phos bronze more than anything over the years.

Thanks for all the (and any) input.

I have become addicted to Elixirs because of the tone and ease of play. But I break the G's and even D's with regularity. I play mediums, too. Still break the hell out of 'em. But if I ever play other strings they just go dead so fast that I go right back to playing Elixirs.

I tried the EXPs, which are coated, apparently, with syrup. The tone lasts for a long time, but who cares if you hate playing your guitar because your fingers stick to the damn strings.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

I bought my Larrivée L-03 in July 2006 from Long & McQuade.  Before leaving the store, I asked the manager to replace the Cleartone strings that were on the guitar.  He had one of the guitar technicians put on the Elixir Nanoweb Custom Lights that I requested .....  I really wanted the Elixir Polywebs, but they didn't have the gauge in stock.

When they handed me the guitar, fresh out of the packing and the case, I tuned it and immediately asked what strings were on it.  The Cleartone Lights were definitely NOT to my liking.  It felt like my fingers were stuck to the strings and, as calloused as my finger tips were, I could still feel the ridges on the wound strings.

I much prefer Elixir (Nanoweb or Polyweb) Custom Light or Light gauge strings.  They sound and feel right for me (they're smoother and quieter), and they last longer than the D'Addario Bronze Lights that I used to use (on previous guitars) a few years ago.
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Quote from: aaronjnoone on February 20, 2007, 08:17:20 AM
I have become addicted to Elixirs because of the tone and ease of play. But I break the G's and even D's with regularity. I play mediums, too. Still break the hell out of 'em. But if I ever play other strings they just go dead so fast that I go right back to playing Elixirs.

I tried the EXPs, which are coated, apparently, with syrup. The tone lasts for a long time, but who cares if you hate playing your guitar because your fingers stick to the damn strings.

The Cleartones were in commendable shape for the month of playing, but putting on the string I've used most often for many years drove home the stickiness. The D'Addarios made it an even better guitar even though they won't last as long. Wow! Better 'cause the Cleartone low E was not balanced with the rest of the set, and this is.

I will take the many pieces of wisdom, and try the Nanowebs or another treated string next.

Thanks.

I was using Elixr nano's, really liked the pb sets. G. Center had D'addarios on sale and I bought them.
While they are great strings, I put a set of Elixr's on my SD and woah ! what a sound.
When I work my way though all the D's I am going back to Elixr's.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes