how to record stereo via Audacity?? - M-Audio MobilePre USB

Started by expatCanuck, February 18, 2007, 02:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greetings.

I'm wondering if there's any 'trick' to recording stereo through Audacity.
I've got a couple of mics feeding channels one & two of an M-Audio MobilePre USB.

In Audacity, I've gone to the Project menu & selected New Stereo Track, which creates an empty (32-bit) Stereo track.
However, when I click Record, a new mono (16-bit) track is created.

Is there something I'm missing?  Might the onboard audio be interfering (and if so, how might I disable it)?

Thanks.

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Hmmm.  How 'bout if I answer my own question?

Go to Google.  Search for the terms 'audacity' and 'stereo'.

This will be the first link to show up:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=recording&i=stereo

Which says ...

To record in stereo, open the Audacity preferences. In the "Audio I/O" section, change the number of recording channels from 1 (mono) to 2 (stereo).

Comment dit-on en français "Read the friendly manual ..."?   :blush:

- Richard

oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

It's better to record each mic to its own track. That way you can work with one track however you want and not affect the other track. I don't know how Audacity works, you may doing this already, just that I'd give you a heads up.

That's a good rule of thumb jeremy! If you are recording from two separate microphones, channel your left signal into one mono track and the right signal into another mono track. Then you are pan them back and forth, add reverb, compression or other effects as you see fit discretely between the two signals. When you're ready to mix down, just bounce the whole thing to a stereo track or mix down to a stereo wave file.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

QuoteIt's better to record each mic to its own track. That way you can work with one track however you want and not affect the other track. I don't know how Audacity works

Audacity isn't that sophisticated  :rolleye: You can't record two tracks simultaneously. 

Solution is to record a stereo track with the two mics then split it into two mono ones that you can then work on independently, so at most basic level at least then you can to pan each track and adjust volume of each in the mix.

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

Quote from: hatofthecat on February 23, 2007, 02:37:00 PM
Audacity isn't that sophisticated  :rolleye: You can't record two tracks simultaneously. 

That's a good workaround Pete. I've only looked at Audacity enough to know I couldn't function with it.

If cost is a factor in choice of your recording software, I would suggest that expat look at Reaper instead. It is only $39.95 and sports a graphic user interface and multitrack recording, plugins, effects, etc. It even has track folders like my Sonar. It is shareware so you can try it out for free and there are no limitations to the trial copy.

Click the image for a full version of the screenshot:

2014 Taylor 814ce

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I also bought a M-audio MobilePre USB and as a complete newbie thought this would be pretty straight forward.
I have downloaded both Audacity and Reaper and both give me the same issues. Studdering on playback.
It doesn't do it all the time but it seems that the timer slows down and that is when it starts. Any tips for just
a straight forward plug in the guitar and play then put a second track over with vocals..will there be a delay.
any help would be appreciated..I have tried the web site with both software but cannot find how to rectify.
Thanks

Quote from: paco on April 01, 2007, 01:28:43 PM
I also bought a M-audio MobilePre USB and as a complete newbie thought this would be pretty straight forward.
I have downloaded both Audacity and Reaper and both give me the same issues. Studdering on playback.
It doesn't do it all the time but it seems that the timer slows down and that is when it starts. Any tips for just
a straight forward plug in the guitar and play then put a second track over with vocals..will there be a delay.
any help would be appreciated..I have tried the web site with both software but cannot find how to rectify.
Thanks

Are you sure it isn't in the recording? USB can do that sometimes. Yes there will be delay but multitrack software should have something to compensate for that, the faster the interface and pc the less delay.

Check out the speed of your hard drive. Stuttering like that is sometimes caused by slow hard disk read/writing. Latency is another issue. I'm sure it isn't your M-Audio MobilePre - this is a good, fast USB interface. (Yes, I know Firewire is faster). I don't think Audacity or Reaper are the issues either.

If you are going to record on your computer, your computer needs to be optimized for digital audio. Turn off all other programs including system tray enhancements and extras. Turn off the Windows XP graphic additions (ie. run in Classic mode). Turn off automatic updates, wallpaper, windows sound system wave files (beeps and boops) and defrag your hard drive. Better yet, get a second FAST hard drive that is dedicated only to your audio files.

2014 Taylor 814ce

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

good tips drathbun,

you can find sites with more tips, though some aren't always feasible.

http://www.funklogic.com/pcaudio.htm