hi all here's another newbe needing advice

Started by 3kingbees, February 17, 2007, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee :coffee :donut :wave :wave : :gotdonuts: :gotdonuts: :gotdonuts:
hi  i'm happy to join the company. at last i got my larrivee  yes it is!!!!!
I play fingertyle mosly ragtime/ country-blues/blues . just bought a 00-50mt slotted peghead 12 fretter(very pricey) and hope she arrives soon. i live in italy.here's my question :i know larrivees are  light strung from factory .can my baby handle mediums?anyone already did it?

:welcome: :welcome: :niceguitar: :niceguitar:

That 00-50MT is one of my dream guitars...Congratualtions It should be a perfect fit for acoustic blues and Rags...my music of choice too...please supply us with some pictures and a full report on the tone of your new guitar.

As far as medium strings go...I can't speak to OO and mediums...they were fine on my OM though so it can probably handle them...might need a set up adjustment though

Welcome...post early...post often

Don't forget the pictures!!!

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

3kingbees -

Congratulazioni on the 00.

I use D'Addario "Medium Light" 12-54 (EZ920) strings on my 00-19 (and my L-09).  Nessuni problemi.

I'm reasonably certain that the Larrivee 00 can indeed handle medium strings, tho' I'd strongly recommend contacting Larrivee via their web site to get the official word.

For what it's worth, the Guitar Adoptions page on the 00-50MT says that it CAN handle medium strings (and the information is typically copied verbatim from the Larrivee site):
http://guitaradoptions.com/store/product.php?productid=17677&cat=0&page=1

That said, I do know that, for example, Huss & Dalton specifically says do NOT use medium strings on their 00-SP -- which was probably the key reason why I didn't purchase one.  (No matter -- my used 00-19 was less than half the H&D price, and is at least as fine an instrument).  Not to single out H&D - I think that they're right up there w/ Collings as far as quality and sonics in that price range -- I really like H&D instruments.

Sorry -- I ramble.

Arrivaderci.
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

The rule of thumb  I've always heard was this: It depends on the type of bridge and how much glue area there is.  If the guitar has the small rectangular shapped bridge like the 00-50MT, then mediums are not generally recommended.  Guitars with belly bridges are OK with mediums.

There are other factors involoved such as scale length. The 00-50MT I believe is a short scale so it mighe be OK with mediums even with the rectangular bridge. 

Best to contact Larrivee and find out for sure. :)

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

tnx all
i'll check  Larrivee. i wish i could post pics if i knew  how to manage it ,for sure i'll make a report on guitar

here we are . i got it from LARRIVEE web site  FAQ section

:What strings do you recommend?
While strings are a matter of personal preference, we can make a basic recommendation for you based upon the strings that came OEM on your Larrivee guitar. By all means, experiment with different brands. All Larrivee Guitars, with the exception of 12 strings, will handle medium gauge strings. Using the table below, you can find which string came OEM with your guitar.

Brand
Model
Gauge Range

-03 Series
Everly
Cleartone
.012 - .053 (Light)

-05 Series
Everly
Cleartone
.012 - .053 (Light)

-09 Series
Everly
Cleartone
.012 - .053 (Light)

-10 Series
Everly
Cleartone
.012 - .053 (Light)

-50 Series
Everly
Cleartone
.013 - .056 (Medium)

-60 Series
Everly
Cleartone
.013 - .056 (Medium)

Baritone (BT-60)
D'Addario
EXP 23 (Baritone Acoustic)
.016 - .070

Classical (-30 Series)
D'Addario
ProArté EJ46 (Silver Clear)
.0285 - .044 (Hard)

Mandolins (-33 Series)
Everly
Cleartone
.011 - .040 (Medium)

Parlor (-05 & -09 Series)
Everly
Cleartone
.013 - .056 (Medium)

thumbsup

A short scale OO Larrivee would be a custom order instrument. The usuall OOs had standard 25.5 scale.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

my 00-50 is a standard model . just now i emailed  larrivee to get specs  .