Garrison Guitars, looking for opinions

Started by bluesman67, February 16, 2007, 07:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been reading very good reviews of guitars by Garrison in Cananda.  They make both all solid wood guitars, their "G" line, and solid top guitars..."AG" line.  www.garrisionguitars.com.  There isn't a dealer in my erea.  Their price points are excellent for either line guitar.  They use some interesting wood combinations such as a solid red cedar top and solid birch b/s, at a price of less than $600 US.  They make 3 sizes, dread, grand orchestra (which looks more like an L than an OM), and a parlor.  SO STUCCO, you might want to check them out, the parlor is also less than $600 all solid.

I would love to hear a review from anyone that owns or has played one of these guitars. 
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Yeah, I'd like to learn a bit about these too; their construction is very unique. They don't use traditional bracing; instead the guitar is built around a very lightweight graphite/carbon-fiber 'cage', with little or no top bracing.

They're a lot easier to find around here.  I like 'em.  They're as good for the $$$ as Seagulls, but I actually like the Gulls more (I bought a Seagull myself).  But I wouldn't argue with anyone who chose a Garrison either.  Seagull and Garrison are definitely the best cheaper guitars around.  That's not just me, I've seen some very highly renowned builders on luthier's forums say the same thing.

However, I wouldn't buy one sight unseen.  In fact I wouldn't buy any factory made guitar sight unseen unless it was an all graphite one.  There's just too much sample variation in wood.  Grading is mostly cosmetic.

And don't get too excited about a cheaper guitar with all solid wood.  That does not mean it's better than a similarly priced one with ply B&S.  Specs really don't mean all that much anyway.

Did you know that all those Selmer/Maccaferri guitars that Django played had plywood B&S?  Or that Gibson, in the 30's and 40's, sometimes used plywood B&S in their acoustics, which are now very valuable?  And that no one ever noticed any degradation in sound?

Quote from: Hoser Rob on February 17, 2007, 01:28:43 PM
Or that Gibson, in the 30's and 40's, sometimes used plywood B&S in their acoustics, which are now very valuable?  And that no one ever noticed any degradation in sound?

Weren't the J-160's on all those Beatle recordings laminated...back, sides and top?

I had one and liked it, but sold it after a tech screwed it up.

Mine was spruce top with birch B/S

Very nice action, excellent intonation, a good balanced sound, good volume.

I could hear a "crystal" or "glassy" quality to the sound, which I attributed to the bracing.

Two really nice things: the Buzz Feiten tuning system - it works.

The nut width is a little wider than many others - at 1.7 inches. More than 1 11/16; less than 1.75. Very comfortable. Nice neck.

Thanks for the relplies, I would love to hear more.  I wonder if a cedar top would be a nice modification to the spruce/birch combination.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I think their entry all solid model in the G line was cedar/birch. The spruce/birch was one notch up. Haven't checked their specs lately. I've seen their AG models and did not like them as well.