Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting a righty to a lefty  (Read 705 times)
hal537

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »

I have a left handed son who has his own lefty instruments, but I was wondering how much work was involved in converting a righty to a lefty and indeed if the conversion was worth the trouble and expense.

Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:04:42 PM »

I've done 3 Larrivees BUT the bracing makes it easy.It can't always been done on other modals.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »

Hal537

Right hand to left hand conversion of an acoustic guitar can be fairly easy / in-expensive or difficult and not worth the trouble depending upon a few factors.   I've had a Guild GAD JF-30 Jumbo converted very successfully for under $150.
Here's some things to keep in mind:

For best results you should start with a guitar that has symmetrical bracing.  Larrivees I believe are ok.

You will need to have the saddle removed, the slot filled in,  and re-routed for a left-handed slant.  You will need to make a new left handed saddle to fit this new slot.

You will need to have the nut removed and a new left handed nut cut and installed.

If the guitar has a pickguard it will be upside down when converted unless you remove it:  than can be touchy.

When all is said and done you will still have the fret markers on the edge of the fretboard on the wrong side so you won't be able to see them. 

My Guild conversion came out great.   It did have pickguard but it was clear so I left it in place and added a  home-made left handed pickguard to the other side of the soundhole.  The filling, re-routing of the bridge came out so well you really can't see the work that was done.   

Having said all that.   If you are thinking of converting a Larrivee I would just go ahead and buy a lefty.  They do not cost any more than a righty and they are correct in every way. 

Here's a picture of my converted Guild Jumbo.  You can hardly tell that the saddle / bridge was re-done.

Hope this information has been helpful.

Tuffythepug

hal537

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:40:44 PM »

Thanks Tuffy & Unclrob - I'm still in awe as to how much info and experience is available on this forum.    and one for me 

Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: