Recommend a good quality 2nd guitar for gigs?

Started by aaronjnoone, February 11, 2007, 04:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone here recommend a good quality guitar for a gigging 2nd? I want one tuned 1/2 step down for certain songs, or in case I break a string (which happens every gig). Ideally, I'd like to get another Larry, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, just can't afford one right now. I have always heard good things about Seagull, and they go used for really affordable prices. I'm not made of money, but I can spend around 5 bills.

Thanks for any input,
-A

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

seagulls are great for what you're paying. breedloves are also real nice. good luck finding a 2nd guitar! :)
Taylor 810ce
Larrivee OM03
??????? who knows what's next? :)

Martin DCXE or 000CXE  <-  Need to drop a grenade on them to cause damage

Ovation Celebrity CDX44 <- Great build quality; exceptional plugged in sound; plastic bowl can be used as a paddle if your gig is on-board a boat and it starts to sink.

Yes folks your mileage may vary but both are really nice for the money and due to their construction, quite rock-solid for gigging.

My take on gigging guitars has changed a lot. Easy playability and a good sounding pickup (if you';re plugging in).
Actually, I like Ibanez for that right now. My duo partner picked one up for gigging and leaves his Gibson at home. It sounds good through the system, plays and intonates very well.

Laminated back and sides, maybe even the top. Able to stand up to questionable environments and the rigors of the road.

I'm with you on this. I love having a really nice guitar, but man, my poor Larry has numerous gouges, scrapes, scratches etc. It's frequently taken out of it's happy enviornment and subjected to cold, hot, random spills of Jagermeister, being knocked over, and what have you. I'd love a nice playing guitar with a nice pickup and who cares what it looks like. That's why I'm looking into Seagull. They have a few solid tops with dual source pickups factory installed, brand new for right around $500. I just want to find one somewhere and see how it sounds.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/productperformermjcwgt.htm

I'm with El Guitana on this, because I recently played a very nice looking Ibanez at our little local music store. This was a quilted maple with a solid quilted maple top, gloss finish, very pretty guitar. The body shape was like a jumbo but not as large...closer to the size of a dread.

It played great, sounded great, had a warmer tone than I expected, had electronics onboard, which I also played through a Shenandoah 100 they had there. I was impressed...very nice axe for the money. Hmmm let's see if this is kosher...let's just say that it was well under four bills.

Like I wrote if your looking for a guitar to withstand "the elements" of gigging, nothing beats the models mentioned.  Seagulls are nice but I find them dull sounding versus the Martin or Ovation models.  To each his own though of course.

I wish you luck with your search.  Please advise as to what you wind up with.

A jamming buddy of mine bought a 'beach guitar'... a base model Alvarez RD-20S spruce / mahogany, and paid approx. $325 Canadian tax in, AND with HSC (approx. US$275) and it is impressive for the price.  The playability is what got me and I played his after breaking a string on my L-02 which is of course a tough act to follow for playability.   

I have always liked Seagulls in the under $500 range, but the Alvarez has won me over.  You may wanna check em out.

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.html?SeriesID=5&ItemID=91
2000 Larrivee L-02
2005 Larrivee OM-03R-SH (custom)
2002 Ibanez Artcore AG75
2005 Ibanez AEG10NE-NT
2002 Fender Telecaster Standard
1970 Fender Malibu
1988 Yamaha FG-350
2001 Yamaha AEX-500N
1970 Aria nylon (original owner)
1964 Stella (original owner)
... and a few more.

I've always been fond of Alvarez. They seem to be quite durable and sound pretty nice.

Nothing wrong with a Seagull. I really like them in fact. 

FWIW, I completely disagree with the mentality of buying cheap gear to take out while your "good stuff" sits at home unplayed.  Guitars are made to be played, and if they're not, then they're just useless objects.  Play the best you can whenever you can.  When you're dead it won't matter anyway.  And once that happens, they'll more than likely go to someone who won't take care of them like you did, or worse, they'll sell them.  Just play them and don't fuss over dings/dents, etc. 

I'll still take them both to gigs, I just want two guitars. :thumb

If I could afford one, I'd get a LV-05 cutaway and make that my main guitar and tune my D-03 1/2 step down for certain songs. That would be sweet. But that won't happen for a while. Meantime, I keep breaking strings at gigs (solo gigs, no less) and I would like to have a 2nd guitar I can just grab till break when I can change a string.

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on February 14, 2007, 05:37:22 PM
Nothing wrong with a Seagull. I really like them in fact. 

FWIW, I completely disagree with the mentality of buying cheap gear to take out while your "good stuff" sits at home unplayed.  Guitars are made to be played, and if they're not, then they're just useless objects.  Play the best you can whenever you can.  When you're dead it won't matter anyway.  And once that happens, they'll more than likely go to someone who won't take care of them like you did, or worse, they'll sell them.  Just play them and don't fuss over dings/dents, etc. 

Well said -  I totally agree... my L-02 has character from the dings and such which is fine.   I bought it to be played, and for me at least, it is at these campfire parties and jam sessions where I and others appreciate the Larrivee the most.  One exception was when I vacationed sailing around in the Carribean, I brought my old Aria nylon string which I never worried about and a Spanish guitar actually seemed more appropriate in that setting.
2000 Larrivee L-02
2005 Larrivee OM-03R-SH (custom)
2002 Ibanez Artcore AG75
2005 Ibanez AEG10NE-NT
2002 Fender Telecaster Standard
1970 Fender Malibu
1988 Yamaha FG-350
2001 Yamaha AEX-500N
1970 Aria nylon (original owner)
1964 Stella (original owner)
... and a few more.

Quote from: aaronjnoone on February 14, 2007, 06:25:33 PM
I'll still take them both to gigs, I just want two guitars. :thumb
I realize that, but I just saw the old "leave the good stuff at home where it can't be harmed" mentality somewhere in there, I guess.  Good lord, people, it's not like you're driving a Bently to McDonalds in a hailstorm....it's a guitar....play it for Pete's sake.  

If I were you, I'd go look for a nice playing Seagull.  But be careful, some of them are so good that they might take first place before long.  

I really want to try that mini jumbo cutaway they have, with the Quantum II dual source. You see 'em on ebay for 400ish.

Quote from: aaronjnoone on February 14, 2007, 06:33:56 PM
I really want to try that mini jumbo cutaway they have, with the Quantum II dual source. You see 'em on ebay for 400ish.
Man, I say go for it.  I played one of thier mini-jumbos a few weeks ago that blew me away.  Really nice tone and feel....and LOUD. It was also a really nice looking guitar. 

Quote from: aaronjnoone on February 13, 2007, 03:55:29 PM
That's why I'm looking into Seagull. They have a few solid tops with dual source pickups factory installed, brand new for right around $500. I just want to find one somewhere and see how it sounds.

Hey aaronjnoone, I definitely recommend a Seagull.  As far as I know, all Seagulls have solid tops - you can choose between either cedar or spruce.

I owned a Seagull S6+ Cedar for five years as my main guitar, before trading it in to buy my Larrivée L-03 last July 2006.  I don't think you can go wrong for a balance of great sound and great value.

I met and chatted with Robert Godin (whose company makes Seagulls) and he is just as passionate and committed to building fine guitars as Jean Larrivée.  Hmmm ... I wonder if Robert and Jean, as Quebecois, ever met.

I don't see any problem with wanting a second affordable guitar to gig with.  Like you said ... one really nice one and another for different tunings and to give the really nice one a bit more longevity.
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

I have been a fan of seagulls like others that have posted, but it occurred to me today that a Tacoma would be worth considering.  I think they are great guitars and for playing out, the cosmetic issues that have plagued the brand may be tolerable.  The price on tacomas looks to be dropping like crazy.  I am particularly fond of their parlors which are larger, deeper guitars than a typical parlor.  Big sound and really comfortable.  Like their dreads as well.  Older ones have laminated back and sides, but newer ones are all solid.  Have a seagull folk and like it a lot, but to me it is not up to a tacoma. 

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

I think the Yamaha line of guitars would be worth looking at. They make good, sturdy, serviceable instruments which often sound surprisingly good.

You also can't go wrong with the Seagull and Simon and Patrick guitars. I really, really like the mini-jumbo
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Hi Aaron,

Good luck on your search! As much as I like Seagulls, I second sayheyjeff on the Tacomas. I've seen DM-9s, which are hog dreads with a 1 3/4" neck and rosewood fretboards, going for under $400 used. Most of them will be all solid woods just like Larrivees. And they are cannons!
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.