Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pickups and Pre-amps  (Read 1475 times)
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2007, 01:54:41 PM »

Thanks JohnM, kdonovan, Stucco, and a few others for your opinions on the best pickup.  I'm going with a K&K Pure Mini Western.

What are the opinions out there on a K&K with an onboard preamp vs. an external?  As far as an external pre-amp, what are folks using that you like?

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:04:52 PM »

Thanks JohnM, kdonovan, Stucco, and a few others for your opinions on the best pickup.  I'm going with a K&K Pure Mini Western.

What are the opinions out there on a K&K with an onboard preamp vs. an external?  As far as an external pre-amp, what are folks using that you like?

I played live with mine for the first time last night.  You won't be disappointed .  They're great, even passive version without using a preamp.  I might get an external one eventually but it's not necessary right away.  It's got a pretty high output for a passive pickup.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »

Like Denis says, you may not need a pre-amp onboard or external, depending on what kind of gain structure the input channel is that you are using.

I was able to make some recordings with my K+K mini pure western last night, simply by dialing up the input gain on the instrument in channel on my Presonus Firebox.

Try it without first, then see if you need to buy a pre-amp.

One thing I can say for sure - make sure you give www.frettech.com a look on how to install it.  Much easier to understand installation directions than what comes packaged with the K+K.  As I understand, K+K is adopting some of frettech's recommendations to use a jig to install the pickup.  I followed frettech's instructions to a T, just yesterday afternoon, and I think I have a great installation. (Photos to come soon).

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
jambrose

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:09:11 AM »

How about the UltraPure Western Mini ?

Joe
D-03
L-03
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 03:57:59 AM »

Thanks for the comments.  I'm going to have it installed.  For about $40 bucks, it's worth it for me to have it done and not give myself a chance to damage something, not to mention how my 20-minute projects tend to stretch from 3 hours to 2 days.  The only amp I have is a Marshall tube amp for my Strat.  Do you folks think I'll have a shot at it sounding good w/out a pre-amp?

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
AtlasHeating

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 12:25:42 AM »

I do not think you will get a good sound out of a tube amp when it comes to acoustic guitar. It will sound good when plugged into a PA System or even a Keyboard amp. There are a few acoustic guitar amps available that will give you a good sound. I have a LR Baggs Preamp that sounds good with the KK pure Western Mini in my L-03. You can always experiment with your tube amp and possibly get a good sound. If you were playing out it might be hard to switch between guitars and get the sound that you want.
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 06:40:25 AM »

I played live with mine for the first time last night.  You won't be disappointed .  They're great, even passive version without using a preamp.  I might get an external one eventually but it's not necessary right away.  It's got a pretty high output for a passive pickup.
Hey Denis, is yours K&K installed with the tape? or on the wood without the tape?
I have a K&K in my Seagull Anniversaire and while it sounds really good I have to put the volume around 7 or so on my Fender Acoustasonic Jr to get a good volume. I did use the tape on mine so I could remove it.
I was thinking about getting the K&K pure pre amp to boost the signal.
Anyone here own this little jewel?
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »

Hey Denis, is yours K&K installed with the tape? or on the wood without the tape?
I have a K&K in my Seagull Anniversaire and while it sounds really good I have to put the volume around 7 or so on my Fender Acoustasonic Jr to get a good volume. I did use the tape on mine so I could remove it.
I was thinking about getting the K&K pure pre amp to boost the signal.
Anyone here own this little jewel?

I think mine was installed with the superglue Ruben.  I didn't install it myself.  I just got a used Behiringer UB802 mixer with the two mic preamps built in so I plan on trying maxferry's suggested set up when I start using my gear for live performing which I hope will be soon, but that's another story!  I had thought of getting a preamp but the mixer was cheap.  I haven't tried it out yet but I bet it'll sound good.

rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 06:41:41 PM »

I'm going to remove it from the Seagull and install it on the D-09 right on the wood and see how much louder it gets.
If that doesn't get it loud enough i'll try the K&K pre amp.
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 04:16:15 AM »

The K&K mini pickup has a higher output signal than most passive pickups.  Still, it's output is very weak, measured in millivolts, and is high impedance.  It, along with every other passive pickup, needs a preamp to raise the signal to line level.  It's just a matter of where that preamp is, physically, in relation to the pickup (or how far away a DI box is).  It may be in the guitar, plugged into the endpin jack, on your belt, on the floor 5 feet away, in an acoustic amp 15 feet away, etc.  Simple physics dictate that the farther the preamp or DI is away from the pickup, the more the signal becomes degraded.  It's just a matter of how much.

I use a K&K mini in one of my guitars, along with an internal or external mic.  I used a K&K Standard for many years before that.  I've owned a few different preamps and have tried nearly all of them.  As far as preamps go, I've used a Pendulum Audio SPS-1 for about 6 years.  Nothing else approaches it in terms of functionality or sonics.  It's in a class by itself.
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 05:28:57 AM »

Pendulum Audio SPS-1
Where can you get this?
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 06:09:06 AM »

Where can you get this?

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/

The SPS-1 is only available direct from Pendulum.  There are dealers for the other studio gear Pendulum makes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: