Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best affordable, removable sound hole pickup for my L-03?  (Read 5801 times)
canoe65

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:05:19 PM »

I am considering to buy a sound hole pickup for my Larrivée L-03.  I am into playing folk, blues, soft rock, church/choir music, and need some amplification.

I don't want to punch a hole through the guitar where the tail strap button is located.

I'm looking for a sound hole pickup that can accommodate a variable size of sound holes (expandable, within reason).

Can anyone share their experience and recommend the best product for the best price ... and available in Canada?

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."
patrickgm60

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »

I used a Seymour Duncan Acoustitube (?) a few years back with decent results.  It (like most others) is magnetic, so feedback wasn't a problem, but the sound quality was marginal.

I had a close call with my guitar when someone stepped backward onto my cord.  Had there not been slack in the cord, the soundhole pickup, along with parts of the guitar top, would probably have been removed.  If you're gigging, I suggest using something else.  I have K&K Westerns in 2 of my guitars and am very happy with them.  There is an adaptor that allows you to hard-wire the pup to the endpin without enlarging the hole.

Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando
maxferry

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:21:44 AM »

Actually, you won't have to "punch a hole" through your tailblock; they already have it reamed out for an end-pin jack...at least my L03 was. I'm presuming that they all come this way. Easy enough to remove the button and look at it.

I would imagine that you can still get an inexpensive sound-hole pup for about 50 bucks, but every one of these I've heard made the guitar sound as much like an electric guitar as an acoustic...kind of a slightly-brighter-than-usual jazz-box tone. At 86 bucks and change, the K&K Pure Western mini is still the best deal I've seen out there, is minimally invasive, and your axe will sound like itself. If you go with the full-size Pure Western, you won't even necessarily have to glue the transducers...just stick them on.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 02:35:42 AM »

IMO, you're never going to be satisfied with the sound of a soundhold pup.  They just don't sound good.  It won't make you any less a purist to have a pup installed. I cringe at most things technological, but an inside mounted pup just makes good sense. 
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »

The problem with your question is "affordable" AND "soundhole". This limits the choices to some pretty poor sounding pups. I have a Dean Markley Tahoe in my old beater Yamaha which is cheap and usable but I would never put one in a Larrivee. To do justice to a Larrivee, I would avoid a soundhole or an under-saddle pickup. I use an LR Baggs iBeam in my L05 and love it. The iBeam is a SBT (soundboard transducer) that attaches to the underside of the bridge plate.

I have heard some good things about the LR Baggs M1 soundhole pickup however. It isn't cheap but the reviews are good.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 04:26:30 PM »

I recently installed a LR Baggs M-1 soundhole pickup in my OM-03R and it could not have been much easier.  If you remove your end pin strap button you will see that Larrivee has conveniently provided a 1/2" hole for installation of an end pin jack;   as if they expect many players to insatall pickups after they purchase their guitar.
I tried this soundhole pickup on two Gibson dreadnaughts and a Guild Jumbo and it was adjustable enough to fit them as well as the OM-03.   You don't even have to remove the strings to install this pickup and jack.   It is a double layer (humbucking) pickup that senses the string vibrations as well as the vibration of the soundboard.
I think it sounds better than the Dean Markley soundhole pickup I've used previously which is simply a magnetic pickup which makes the guitar sound electric.   I do think, however that you should consider using the LR Baggs DI pre-amp with this pickup in order to eliminate feedback and to dial in the sound you want.  The pickup comes with two cables and the endpin setup.   You can simply run one cable directly to the amp or pre-amp from the pickup if you don't want to go to the trouble of installing the endpin jack.   
ace1979

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 02:20:57 AM »

I agree with the LR Baggs M1 suggestions...yes true a bit pricey, but I have liked mine in my D03WL so far, and installation very simple...and I will have to say I think it looks pretty nice as well..a nice "vintage" touch...just my thoughts..

Larrivee D03WL
Alvarez AF60S
Arbor AJ137
Lahaina Ukulele
Carvin AG100D
Roland Blues Cube
canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 04:46:44 PM »

My thanks to 'patrickgm60', 'maxferry', 'the Sound of Acoustk', 'drathbun', 'tuffythepug' and 'ace1979' for all your kind and helpful comments / suggestions.

You have given me a variety of avenues to explore. Thanks again.

Don't you just love this Larrivée Forum.  I am so happy that I stumbled upon it.

Maybe the official Larrivée Web Site should provide a link to this 'unofficial' Forum (even if they have to provide a 'disclaimer').

I just can't help but feel sorry for all the Larrivée owners, that don't know about this site, and would really benefit from what it offers.

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »

Don't you just love this Larrivée Forum.  I am so happy that I stumbled upon it.

Oh yes, so happy...since finding the forum, I've bought 6 Larrivees!!!!  Still have two of 'em.  I'm happy but I think my wife wishes I hadn't found it!!! 

Seriously though, this place is friendly, helpful and you can learn a lot about all things guitar and not just Larrivees.

gobseulmuhri

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »

I am extremely satisfied with my M-1 Active. I got a seriously great deal on ebay and paid under 130 for a new one. It's half the price of a dual source pickup but with the right preamp, it's just as good for me. I keep hearing good things about K&K mini western, but if you can afford a little more I really recommend the M-1 active or passive. I also got a Para DI as a gift, and the two together make a really good combo. Install/Deinstall takes less than a minute now that I'm used to it, and until I can afford to get 300-400 dollar pickup, i'll be stickin with this one.

'06 Larrivee L-03R w/ Baggs M1 Active
'01 Alvarez AD60SCBK
canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 04:05:33 AM »

Well I listened to all of you and I made a decision.

I just bought on Sunday, via e-Bay, a mint condition LR Baggs M1 Passive pickup.  I got it for a really good price from a fellow Larrivée owner ... he has a LV-03 and is moving up to a LR Baggs M1 Active ... and I don't have to pay for e-Bay 'shipping and handling'.  He works close to me in Toronto and we are going to meet, I have a few questions to ask him about the M1 Passive and we'll seal the deal.

So by this Thursday evening I hope to be trying my new pickup out in my L-03 at the place where I play ... at the church folk choir.  I just hope they like what they hear !! 

So thanks to all of you with your very helpful advice.  I just LOVE this Larrivée Forum.   

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

James_E

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 03:01:07 AM »

Canoe...

So did you get it and try it out?  What's the verdict?

canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 03:14:01 AM »

Canoe65 ... So did you get it and try it out?  What's the verdict?

Hi James E,
Yes I have had it for about two weeks and for my money the L.R. Baggs M1 Passive pickup is THE best soundhole pickup on the market today.

The sound of it on my Larrivée L-03 is unbelievable.  This pickup is so sensitive that I could hear the sound of me picking up the guitar by the neck before putting it on my lap to play.  The dual humbuckers are SO quiet.  They are designed to pick up the vibrations of the strings AND the vibrations of the soundboard, effectively acting also like an on-board mic.

From first hand experience, I highly recommend this acoustic guitar pickup.   

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 06:36:11 AM »

Glad to see that the M-1 passive has worked out so well for you after I praised it earlier in this thread.   I'm still digging mine too.   Are you using it naked or thru a pre-amp such as the Para Acoustic D.I. ?
canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 08:05:27 PM »

Glad to see that the M-1 passive has worked out so well for you after I praised it earlier in this thread.   I'm still digging mine too.   Are you using it naked or thru a pre-amp such as the Para Acoustic D.I. ?

Thanks tuffy,

Your earlier response to my question WAS one of the driving reasons that nudged me the final way to the Baggs M1 Passive.

And, in answer to your question, NAKED.    blush   I plug the M1 straight into the church's PA system, no preamp.  It still sounds awesome ... I just wish my playing was.

So I think I have a problem with this pickup.  It is so sensitive and so clear, that every sound I make goes out clearly to the world, that may or may not be listening.  My fingers are getting pretty tough from all the extra practicing to improve my playing.   

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »

I have a DP-83 Reference ( I think it was it's called DP83) Acoustic.

It's a very jazzy sounding pickup.  It doesn't try to be transparent and acoustic, it's a soap bar and a very high output pickup for acoustic pickup.  I like it very much, but I can see how it's not for everyone.  It does reproduce the nuances of your guitar well too.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
dwdelcam

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 10:26:59 AM »

If you can find a paracoustic DI ,  try sending your signal through that first.  I have the Active M1 and the DI box and get great results in my L09.   Good luck !

David

Martin 0-18K (1927 )         Taylor 712ce         
Martin J-40                       Guild GAD M20
Martin 00-17                     Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee 000-50
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: