$2500 for an L-09?? ('79 vintage notwithstanding)

Started by expatCanuck, January 29, 2007, 02:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:drool: :drool:

Its a great guitar.....at a ridicules price.... :arrow

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: Blue in VT on January 29, 2007, 03:06:01 PM
:drool: :drool:
Its a great guitar.....at a ridicules price.... :arrow

I have to say that this is one gorgeous back panel of E.I. rosewood.  The top has mellowed nicely, and some of the features (rosette, tuners, inlay, and label) are typical of JCL's earlier work.  I don't know what the right price is, but I guess the seller feels that this is a vintage Larrivee and is looking for a premium.

jimmy

Quote from: jimmy buffett on January 29, 2007, 04:55:37 PM
I don't know what the right price is, but I guess the seller feels that this is a vintage Larrivee and is looking for a premium.
jimmy
I think you're right about that. 

But remember that the seller can put the $ value anywhere they want, and then lower it from there as needed.

Even a '79 Martin D-28 doesn't command that type of price right now.
Play it daily for best results.

I have a '79 L-09 and the grain on the top of that piece is very similar to mine.
In 79 when I first played it a music shop in Edmonton AB I put a deposit on it in 20 minutes and returned the next day to pay in full. It was and is that good. Some instruments are truly inspiring and mine and possibly this one, are once in a lifetime acquisitions. I believe some guitars have the magic in them due to their woods, and others here reinforce my beliefs. I would probably not venture to buy any guitar without a hands on session, but I always relate the story to others of selecting my Larrivee some 27 years ago.

Here's a rarity....I agree with Dave.

You all feel the price is too high,What do you think its worth?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I have to say that, while this isn't a great price, I think it's a fair price. I mean c'mon, those kinds of woods and appointments don't come cheap, and given the evident condition and degree of seasoning, I'd snatch it right up if I could afford it.

Incidentally, I think the Grover Imperials are a nice touch.

"Even a '79 Martin D-28 doesn't command that type of price right now."

Right...and there are, no doubt, A LOT MORE '79 Martins out there than '79 Larrivees...

...so, IF the DEMAND is there, the SUPPLY is obviously pretty limited for one of these, and this one doesn't have any issues (according to the seller), unlike a lot of almost 30 year old acoustic instruments.

Aged beautiful woods, excellent workmanship, that gorgeous traditional rosette...the only thing wrong with it is that it's not a lefty!

:smile:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: prof_stack on January 29, 2007, 05:57:20 PM
I think you're right about that. 

But remember that the seller can put the $ value anywhere they want, and then lower it from there as needed.

Even a '79 Martin D-28 doesn't command that type of price right now.

And the 70's martins were the worst they ever made.

I'd have to agree with Capn Rory on this.  I too am an owner of a 79 L09 and it is the guitar that I measure all others against - regardless of price.

Quote from: unclrob on February 01, 2007, 07:50:51 AM
You all feel the price is too high.  What do you think its worth?
Its worth whatever people will pay for it.  Obviously its just wood and steel, with a little plastic. 

On ebay it could go for a little or a lot.  But I admit that if I played it, it might well be worth the $$$$.
Play it daily for best results.

I too own a 79 Larrivee L-72 Presentation built in Victoria.  These are some of the best built guitars with the highest grade woods you could find at that time, from any of the top guitar makers.  I happen to own 8 different Martins from the 40's to the 80's, and not one can touch the sound or craftsmanship of my Larrivee.  It will be the last guitar I ever part with and as one forum member said, these are once in a lifetime purchases.  If you have never played a 70's Larrivee, you should try to some time.

You should also think about these as vintage Larrivee's one day, which will have the same attraction as the prewar Martins do today.  Both come from a very special time in the respective manufacturer's building history.  Guess I don't need to say it but IMHO this is more than a fair price, it is an opportunity to buy a very nice "one day true vintage" Larrivee which may not come by very often again.  By the way, I have no relationship or interest in this sale, but have also been watching the auction.
Best from  Canada - Larrivee! 79 L-72 Presentation / 82 L28 cutaway, Best from the USA - A bunch of Martins

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum. It was great to find such a large knowledgeable and enthusiastic bunch of guitar aficionados.

Let me tell you my story. I own an L-07, (serial number 073243),  seems very similar to the L-09 on Ebay except it does not have the fancy headstock. That guitar is mint - so is mine. Perfect after all these years. I bought it one day in 1987 after feeling very flush. I went down to Rufus' Guitars in Kitsilano (BC) because I had heard about Larrivee and wanted to try one for myself. I tried every guitar in the store and settled for the one I have now, because it seemed to have the nicest neck and the best tone. A little plain but a great guitar. I has   the  sticker which says "Jean Larrivee Guitares" Victoria BC (yes with guitars spelled in french, I guess, but no date). I paid $850 Cdn.

Well fast forward to recently. It was time to get the L-07 tuned up. I had the action set a little lower, and had the tech fix the slight intonation problems. Anyway, everyone who laid eyes on the guitar was wowed by it. When the tech brought it out into the music shop area it got a lot of compliments, but when my bud (a fantastic pro player) picked it up and strummed  a few chords, the people in the shop all turned simultaneously to see where the sound was coming from. Even one guy strumming another acoustic, and  a guy playing an electric with  the amp on! You could hear the L-07 over the amp. It has such amazing presence and tone. Fantastic!! Frankly I've never seen that before, maybe I am a bit inexperienced but it was a priceless moment.

Here's the punchline. I was offered $3000 on the spot for it. Then one of the shop guys told me not to sell it (I wouldn't anyway), because he told me they had sold a rough L-07 with two cracks in the top only weeks earlier for $1900. So if that helps you set a value on that L-09 on Ebay then there ya go. Personally, I think $2500 will prove to be bargain price. Remember there is such a thing as inflation, not to mention rarity. And when will anyone expect to see another '79 in such condition again? How long are you willing to wait? If I needed another Larrivee I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

p.s. I should add I own a '62 Strat and am looking to buy a LP, perhaps the Supreme figured maple edition

Vintage Larrivee owners rejoice, it sold for $2500. Overall I have noticed that Larrivee's are fetching a pretty good price, even on the bay. I'm still hoping to find a vintage left hand L but with the vintage models going for this kind of money I might have to try and snab up a righty, if a bargain can still be found, and flip it.

What's this say about the value of Ducktrappers Brazilian/Alpine Spruce L-09.  :niceguitar:
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

bhika,

I'd be perfectly happy with another new Larrivee that will be 'vintage' around the same time I am (okay, maybe I'll get there first!).

I wish Larrivee would make the old style rosette at least an option on the L series guitars...they still do it on the classicals, so why not (I know, the soundholes probably aren't the same size...still...would love another 'old school' L body Larrivee...maybe even the discontinued LJ or LS).

We can all dream!

:thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992