Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen truss rod "Maya Bass"  (Read 687 times)
feathersprings

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:51:22 AM »

My son has his "original" bass guitar I bought for him 17 yrs ago and after not playing it for a long time he wants to put it in use again... He had it checked out by a guitar tech and they said the truss rod was frozen and it would need a truss rod adjustment. They werent able to do that kind of work  ( said it would need the fret board removed and the truss rod repaired or replaced) so I was wondering if anyone on the list knows of a luthier in the San Francisco Bay area that might be able to look at it .

Thanks

Sherry
Martin 00-28VS Custom "Rosaleen"
Larrivee' P-03MT "Petunia"
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:07:03 AM »

Sherry
I'm sure there are several luthiers in the bay area who can do this job on your son's bass.  Here's a guy who is off the beaten path a little bit.  He works out of a huge barn outside of Winters, Calif.  I know you know where that is;  you told me your aunt lived in Woodland at some point.  Anyway he did a right hand to left hand conversion on one of my guitars and he did a great job at a very reasonble price.    You might want to just check with him if you need any advice on this.  His name is Keith Cary.   ph. (530) 795-3173.  He has a website:  www.Keithcary.com
Hope this is helpful

Lynn
maxferry

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:33:50 AM »

It depends on how much you're willing to spend; removing the fretboard and possibly replacing the truss-rod would likely be an expensive project. You would have to find out what these guitars currently go for and decide if it's still worth it. Might be more economical to replace the guitar, or possibly just the neck if there's something that will fit.

Don't let a guitar tech talk you into an expensive repair if the axe isn't worth the trouble.

What type of bass is this? Is it a copy of a Fender or something like that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: