Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about bone replacement saddles and pickups  (Read 614 times)
jonlee

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:53:03 PM »

hi all. i just purchased a OM03 after realizing that my taylor 810ce is too big for fingerpicking. i like everything about it except for a few minor things. one of them is that it doesn't have a way to hook into the PA system at my church. i was thinking of getting a pickup installed but then realized that i wanted to replace the saddle with a bone one. would i run into any problems with the pickup and the replacement saddle? thanks in advance.

Taylor 810ce
Larrivee OM03
??????? who knows what's next? :)
Hoser Rob

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:23:34 PM »

With a UST, possibly, but it's certainly been done.

Bone isn't as consistent a material as plastic or Tusq (actually, tusq is just better plastic).  It is more porous and can have soft spots.  If so, the pickup under one of them won't give as strong a signal and string balance will suffer.  You'd want one made of very good quality bone.  The fit is really important too.

Basically, it can be done, but it's definitely a job for a decent shop.

But then so is putting in a UST.  If you were thinking of getting a sound hole magnetic pickup, it wouldn't be a problem.  PLus if you got one with a volume control you wouldn't need a buffered preamp.  You definitely need one with piezo undersaddle ones or it'll sound like garbage.  But a buffered UST will probably sound better than most sound hole pickups.
jonlee

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »

so i should stick with the saddle i have right now?

i was thinking of getting a B Band A6.2 pickup/preamp installed.

Taylor 810ce
Larrivee OM03
??????? who knows what's next? :)
sgarnett

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:24:26 PM »

I had an UST with internal hidden preamp (no barn door cutout) installed in my OM by Gryphon Stringed Instruments at the time of purchase. I later replaced the plastic saddle (possibly Micarta, may have predated Tusq) with bone that I fitted and compensated myself. I think it works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: