amp

Started by patti, January 20, 2007, 09:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I gigged last night with a Crate Gunnison and my Lo3E. I bought the amp at 5:00 and played at 8. The guy I played with has a D28 and a real nice Martin 12 string, and a Shertler Unico. The Crate sounded really fantastic! It has 2  independent channels,each for guitar or mike, a cd input channel, digital effects, built in tilt mechanism, effects loop,etc.  The 60 watts were loud and strong, the sound was terrific.  It weighs under 40 lbs, and so far I love it.  The only drawback is there is a lot of hiss, so I used the attenuatorfor the piezo to dial it out.  Not to post an exact price, but look at the $3-325 range at GC.   The Shertler is a great amp too, but costs waay more. JP
Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132

Quote from: jimmyp on March 18, 2007, 07:58:53 PM
I gigged last night with a Crate Gunnison and my Lo3E. I bought the amp at 5:00 and played at 8. The guy I played with has a D28 and a real nice Martin 12 string, and a Shertler Unico. The Crate sounded really fantastic! It has 2  independent channels,each for guitar or mike, a cd input channel, digital effects, built in tilt mechanism, effects loop,etc.  The 60 watts were loud and strong, the sound was terrific.  It weighs under 40 lbs, and so far I love it.  The only drawback is there is a lot of hiss, so I used the attenuatorfor the piezo to dial it out.  Not to post an exact price, but look at the $3-325 range at GC.   The Shertler is a great amp too, but costs waay more. JP

I picked up a Gunnison back in early January but I haven't had a chance to play out with it.  I'm still on the hunt for the proverbial 1st gig.  I've been playing at an opemn mic for about 3 months now and I'm thinking about finding a second one. 

I played around with the Crate at my local shop for a few days before deciding to buy it.  The price was right and the sound was great.  All the features you'd want in in acoustic amp. 

I ended up getting a Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP recently.  Great little amp and with it and my I-beam... it sound exactly like my guitar unplugged does.. but louder.  I love it.  Haven't play with the 2nd channel on it yet, just the guitar side.

Just my 2 pennies worth but the Freshman David is an 80 watt acoustic amp and is an excellent bit of kit. Its only small, about 14 x12 x 10 inches but its sounds great. Costs just under 600 GBP dunno what it is over there. As it doesnt take up much room, its ideal for using in situations where space is at a premium, Maxferry............. if you ever buy another yacht :humour:
God is Good
Larrivee L09, L05, L05 MT, P 09, OM 03 MT 12 string
Hofner Committe Thin 1962
Musicman Albert Lee (blue)
ditto in red but hard tail
Silhouette Special

I've been playing through a Trace-Elliot 50 for ten years, no hiss, two channels (one for active/passive pick-ups the other for mikes with phantom power) and have tried many,many others. The best advice is to try them all, don't make the price your first priority as you'll be living with the puppy for a long time. I also use a Yamaha Magicstomp Acoustic to pre-set all my tweaks for all my guitars and it works well as a DI box. Trace -Elliot are no longer manufactured so there's a good chance to find a used unit for a good price. Good hunting but I'm keeping mine 'til it dies.