Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hear my L-03 with K+K mini pure western here  (Read 1109 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:53:56 PM »

This morning, before I run off to work, I grabbed the Larrivee with my newly, self-installed K+K pickup in it and did a very quick recording (but not dirty!)

Tuned it first - it's got a brand spanking new set of Elixir Nanoweb lights on board.

The only signal processing I applied was a high-pass filter with a cutoff at 160 Hz to eliminate a bit of low boom.

Compression would help some, but so would practice and warm fingers!!

Here is what it sounds like. This is a better recording than any microphone recording I've made on this guitar.  I don't have a silent room to track in and my condenser mics always pick up some nasty reflections in the room as well as the cooling fan sounds of my PC.  This one is pretty darned clean.

Agua Fria with K+K mini Pure Western

Oh, that's a direct line in from the guitar into my PreSonus firebox, with the only gain applied by the input channel on the firebox (about 75% of the knob turn)

-Scott

Bottom line - you can install this yourself - follow www.frettech.com instructions and you will be all set.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »

WOW!!  that sounds awesome!  both the playing and the guitar are fantastic.  You are making me GAS for a K&K now and I know where that leads...awhole new level of GAS.

Thanks for sharing...please continue to post tunes...I don;t think we do enough of that on this forum

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
wildaxe123

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 03:19:07 PM »

That sounds fantastic! 

I recently installed a pure western mini in my d-03 with a satin finish and noticed that the top was extremently sensitive to brushes/hand movements etc.  Another member on this forum said that the satin finish can enhance the sensitivity however with your fingerpicking style probably woudn't cause you to notice such things.  Can you tell me if you find that your guitar top/body is sensitive to amplification with the K&K pickup?

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:53:04 PM »

That sounds fantastic! 

I recently installed a pure western mini in my d-03 with a satin finish and noticed that the top was extremently sensitive to brushes/hand movements etc.  Another member on this forum said that the satin finish can enhance the sensitivity however with your fingerpicking style probably woudn't cause you to notice such things.  Can you tell me if you find that your guitar top/body is sensitive to amplification with the K&K pickup?

I installed it on Monday, got to play with it for about 10 minutes that day, and about 10 minutes this morning when I made this recording.  I haven't strummed with it yet, so I don't know if it's extra sensitive to that or not.

I have the satin finish on my L-03.  I notice brushing sound when I was using a small condenser mic at church.  I'll pay attention to it next time I get a chance to record.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »

Bottom line - you can install this yourself - follow www.frettech.com instructions and you will be all set.

am I stupid??  (wait...don't answer that... whistling)  I can't find the instructions on this site?!?!?!  I'd like to see how difficult this is before I get too excitd about a pickup.

thanks,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

am I stupid??  (wait...don't answer that... whistling)  I can't find the instructions on this site?!?!?!  I'd like to see how difficult this is before I get too excitd about a pickup.

thanks,

Blue

There are pdf's of the instructions, including colour photos, on the K&K site here Blue:

http://www.kksound.com/purewestern.html

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 06:53:06 PM »

thanks,

Blue

Sorry, here is the deeper link at frettech site:
http://frettech.com/kk/

I followed those instructions and also put saran wrap over the guitar so I wouldn't drip superglue accidentally on it anywhere - cut a hole for the soundhole - laid waxed paper inside on the back as well.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »

Thanks Denis and Rockstar...doesn't look too terrible...except for that drill thing...scarry...

I'm not gonna do it any time soon but good to know for the future.

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
maxferry

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 10:26:32 PM »

Blue, I don't know how closely you've looked, but you may find that the end-pin hole is already drilled out for a jack. My L-03 was...

BTW, nice recording and playing...I love the accuracy of these K&Ks...very detailed.
bucky1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 12:22:56 AM »

[WOW!!  that sounds awesome!  both the playing and the guitar are fantastic.  You are making me GAS for a K&K now and I know where that leads...awhole new level of GAS.
/quote]

I believe for a pick-up like this, it is call PAS.

Put them together to get both you need to PAS GAS.

L-03R Lefty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: