Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seagull Grand  (Read 4247 times)
Zach
Admin

« on: June 17, 2003, 05:49:29 PM »

Has anyone played one of these?  I just ordered one for my girlfriend to learn on.  I also looked at Larrivee Parlors, but ended up getting a really good deal on a Grand.

I've played other Seagull and thought they were great for the money.  Just curious if anyone has any experience with one.

Zach
Wiley Ibex

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 11:05:24 PM »

I've been looking for a "student" guitar for use in teaching a girl friend's young son to play, so I happened to try a Seagull Grand a couple of weeks ago.

Hideous.

I'm rather a fan of Seagulls, and I regard them as a great value for the money, but this was just awful: bad tone, bad playability, miserable set-up, poor materials and workmanship...there's simply nothing "grand" about it. It was one of the worst guitars I've seen in the past several years.

Look, unless you're dealing with a midget (in which case the Baby Takemine at $399 -- with Fishman p/u -- is the class of the field), or you're reeeaaaallly robbing the cradle, you must be after an inexpensive, playable guitar for the g.f. So just go get one of the Epi acoustics. The J-180 copy is really very good for the money, and the cost is about the same as that abysmal Seagul Grand. If the Epi is too large-bodied, Dean offers some very pretty axes (try the Exotica models) in the OM-size for very reasonable dollar amounts.  
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 12:11:23 PM »

I have a Seagull Artist Grand - Spruce/Rosewood parlor.  This is one sweet little guitar!  Plays like butter and sounds like a much larger instrument.  An excellent finger picking guitar.

If the regular "Grand" is anything near this little guitar, you will be in for a treat.  I believe the regular grand has a cedar top with laminated cherry back and sides.  If it's set up properly with a nice set of strings, I can't imagine it being "hedious" at all.  Even the little A&E AMI parlor (all cherry laminated) sounds good for a $100 guitar - all made by Godin.

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
Zach
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 01:30:03 PM »

Well I got the Grand in on Thursday.  It's a great little guitar!  It is a little weak in the bass, obviously, and is pretty midrange focused.  That's what I expected though.

Playability is good,  and I'll do a setup and tweak it when I replace the strings.  It is a lot louder than I thought it would be, and its not thin at all.  I'm definitely impressed with it.  Fingerstyle stuff sounds great on it.  The size is perfect for someone smaller.

It's very far from hideous, and to be honest, that is how I would describe most Takemine and Dean's.  If it had a horrible setup and intonation was really off, I could understand.  But, that's not a fault of the guitar necessarily.  I would hope that a decent shop would take care of that.

Zach
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 02:44:29 PM »

Before buying my Larrivee Parlor I played just about everything BUT the Grand.  The Larrivee pretty much stopped my search.  Once I played my rosewood I knew this was THE travel guitar for me.  I now play it while I travel but also around the house more than my Taylor 710ce (revoiced)!  It's much easier to pick up and play while on the road or on the couch! :D  :D  :D

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 02:46:28 PM »

I bought an Oscar Schmidt 3/4 size guitar for my son, and he loves it. I was really surprised how nice it was for so little money.

samarks

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 05:00:21 PM »

I own both a Seagull Grand and a Larrivee parlor.  Both are nice.  The Larrivee is a better guitar in material, fit and finish.  It is also a little larger so it sounds better all around.

That said, for half the price, the Seagull is a great little guitar.  A little rough around the edges, for instance, the struts are not all sanded perfectly.  But, when I bought it I went in to buy a Baby Taylor and the Seagull beat it hands down.

It has a nice, sweet sound, 14 fret 1 3/4" neck and a comfortable feel.

Mine has a factory installed Baggs pickup, which sounds real nice plugged in.

Both the Seagull and the Larrivee are great guitars for the money, IMHO.

Larrivee Koa Parlor
Collings OM-2H
Martin D-42 Custom
Fender 1954 RI Custom Strat
bigmo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 11:59:31 PM »

I went and played 2 Seagull Grands because I have always liked Seagulls, but the sound was definitely not what I've experienced from other small-bodied guitars.  It sounded about like the $29 guitars I got for my kids from Sam's Club.  I then played an M6 Cedar GT and it was awesome.  Big, big difference.

A Tayor Big Baby is a nice smaller guitar.

1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum
WAFU Man

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 01:16:58 AM »

I bought one for my 9 year old son to learn, with the fallback that I could always make use of it!  For the money it sounds good (I put custom light Nanos and brass bridge pins on it) and certainly the best of the limited competition in the price range.  It's good for fingerstyle and as a cheap blues box.

AJ

Larrivee OM-1
Seagull Grand
Samick HJ 650
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 04:33:39 PM »

Yo, Bigmo--I'm not saying you are wrong, but you might have hit some duds or a couple of guitars with old strings. I've never been close to buying a Seagull, but the sound has always been nice for the price.
--Fred
samarks

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 05:11:05 PM »

I recently bought a Larrivee koa parlor as an upgrade to the Seagull.

I played the Larrivee for a few weeks and really like it.

Last night I broke out the Seagull to play a little with the idea of selling it.  The sound was beautiful and sweet.  The cedar top really adds sweetness to the high and mids.  The only downside was the lows were not there as they are on the Larrivee.

Now I am conflicted about selling it.  Nice guitar.

Larrivee Koa Parlor
Collings OM-2H
Martin D-42 Custom
Fender 1954 RI Custom Strat
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 05:50:27 PM »

I think I need to play a Larrivee Koa Parlor. So far, I've only played the rosewood and mahogany models. There is a fairly high end shop I visit now an dthen. They have used Seagulls from time to time. Usually, I enjoy playing them. A friend educated me about Seagulls and Normans--he swears by Normans. He thinks the finish and set-up work is superior from the Godin factory.
I played a Martin 5-15 the other day that blew me away for its size. Sometimes I think my heart belongs to mahogany.
The Seagull 12's are another story. I've found some duds in that group, but I like the feel of the necks.
--Fred
bigmo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 03:38:25 AM »

Yo, Bigmo--I'm not saying you are wrong, but you might have hit some duds or a couple of guitars with old strings. I've never been close to buying a Seagull, but the sound has always been nice for the price.
--Fred
Yeah, I might have played a couple duds with bad strings.  It sounded like a shoebox. There was virtually very little sustain and depth.  My dealer is notorious for leaving ancient strings on all their guitars.  Maybe I'll try again.  

1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: