Hanging a guitar on an exterior wall

Started by txhoss, January 15, 2007, 02:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think I remember hearing that I should not hang a guitar on a exterior wall of my home. Why. Is it a temperature concern, a humidity concern or both? I live in the central part of Texas where the temperatures are mild in the winter and in the summer hot. If I were to hang a guitar on an exterior wall and hold it off the wall a couple inches would there be sufficient circulation to not cause problems. There are no interior walls suitable in my music room to hang my guitars and with kids and pets, stands are not safe. Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.   

Help

I say you shouldn't have a problem.  I don't see how in a mild climate you could have an issue.  I just put up some hangers, and really like the Hercules brand, with the pressure activated arms.
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Previously asked and answered.  Check the archives.

Not answered well. Would still like some feedback from those that would not mind helping me out. Thanks You

If I remember the previous post about hanging instruments on exterior walls, the concern seemed to be more about the movement of the air up (or down) the walls that results from the air circulation from furnaces and A/C.  The belief was that it was the constant movement of the air that would eventually dry the wood. 

I have no personal knowledgei in this area, but that argument makes sense to me.  I'm guessing that you will need to review the comments that have been made, maybe talk to a heating & A/C technician, and make up your own mind.

Have any forum members reported problems with their giuitars after hanging them on exterior walls over time???

Food for thought...

jimmy

:ph34r:

I'm sorry, do you mean actually hang the guitar outside of the house?  Don't you worry about theft, rain, kids, etc?  Maybe I'm not getting something here.

I've hung my Martin 000-16SGT on an exterior wall for about 2 years now.  I have to keep a sound hole humidifier in it.  The temperature is -13 outside 65 inside this morning with the humidity around 25%.  Cold and dry..... but I prefer to have a guitar at my finger tips or it just sits in it's case.  I know it's more dangerous but so is just about everything in life.

Stan
CA GXi Burst
CA Cargo (Red - Go Utes)
Larrivee LV-03K
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin D-35 Burst
Yamaha FG423S

Hanging guitars anywhere makes me nervous.  I guess I just see the rash that happens on store-hung guitars and think to myself - self, don't do this at home.

My Larry is cased year round with a daily check on the humidifier.  I'm in Michigan where it's hot and humid in the summer, and cold and dry in the winter.  Haven't had an issue yet.

It also doesn't seem like it's a way to store the guitar that the manufacturer really intends for you to do with the guitar.  Your Larry can probably take it, but is it fair to Larry to have him hanging by the headstock all the time?

I realize there are lots of folks that hang their guitars, but to me, it just doesn't seem to be appropriate to have the whole mass of the guitar hanging from the headstock, and then when you take it down, that force goes away.  I wonder if it might make some intonation issues with guitars strung with light gauge strings.

Probably would need to make a free-body-diagram with the forces in the two situations to convince myself it's fine or not fine (those of you with any Statics training as a mechanical engineer will know what I'm talking about).

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Scott, you and I agree. Well put!
Someday, I might get a good solid stand for my beater guitar. But, I really like the control I have over humidity, security and even dust by storing my guitars in their cases.
I realize there are two schools of thought on this. One luthier told me I would ruin my Rigel mandolin by keeping it in the case, but it sounds and looks better than ever. I can control the humidity so much better in a case.

I don't think hanging from the headstock does any harm to a guitar.  If fact I believe it is actually better for the neck than on a stand.

Here is my hanging set-up that I just finished this weekend.  Since I live in Florida, the air conditioner keeps the small spare bedroom at a good humidity level.  When I have to run the forced air, I make up for it with a small Holmes humidifier.  So far, real consistent humidity and room temps.  I like the Hercules hangers, which have arms which retract when you lift the guitar a couple inches.  Liking it so far, but no kids or pets to get involved in the mix.

I really don't think you would have a problem using an exterior wall, unless it gets artic cold outside and the wall insulation was inadequate.
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.