Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQ help please  (Read 782 times)
Antz_Marchin

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2007, 02:08:15 AM »

With the exception of a Rare Earth into a PA, I've only played purely acoustic.  I have a nice little solo rig setup now though with my 914 and the K&K PWM that I just had in stalled into the K&K XLR pre and then into my Genz Benz Pro 200.

Now the XLR pre is used the match the pickup impedence and enhances the sound greatly but I have so many EQ parameters now and with no experience really need help in getting the best out of this great pickup.  The pre has a Bass/Mid/Treb/Gain/Volume, while the Amp has Low/Mid Frequency/Mid Gain/Highs.  I know the general rule is to cut the mids but are there any other guidlines that I should follow like making one set of knobs flat while working with the other or what?  Any treble/bass guidelines or just til it sounds good?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
maxferry

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »

This is a huge subject all by itself, with dozens of books and phd theses written about it; I'll attempt to give you a synopsis/place to start. You're correct that the general rule is to dish out the mids; this is because a perfectly flat frequency response (as it would show on an oscilloscope) sounds very hot in the mids to the human ear. Look up "Fletcher/Munson Equal Loudness Contour". This illustrates how the human ear reacts to frequency, comparing what is flat electronically to what is flat psycho-acoustically.

EQ is always very much dependent upon individual room acoustics, which can vary a lot. The resonant frequencies that cause feedback usually live somewhere in the 1.5K to 3K hZ range, so it's good that you have a sweepable mid....you can find the hottest frequency in the midrange and then cut it so that it sounds equivalent to the highs and lows.

You sometimes find a situation where the feedback is in the higher frequencies because of reflective surfaces, like lots of windows, or you might find a big expanse of flat wall that's 180 off axis, causing holes in the low-end frequency response due to standing waves, which occur when a lower frequency is reflected back upon itself with the phase reversed to some degree.

It also depends a lot on your overall volume; increases or decreases in level will alter your EQ. The tendency is for lower-volume situations to need a higher proportion of mids to enhance definition, while higher volumes require a greater proportion of mids to be cut. You also have to factor in how the room will sound when it fills up with people and ambient noise...this often requires that you boost mids and/or highs to cut through all that, so leave yourself some headroom.

Start out as flat as you can get it and then work from there, with small, incremental changes, remembering that the more processing is used, the more electronic noise is introduced into the system. You should use the least amount of boost or cut that will give you the results you want. Ultimately, your ears will tell you just about everything you need to do.

Good Luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: