Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need a new amp! which one?  (Read 1295 times)
moku

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:37:47 AM »

I am in the market for a new amp, i just ordered my larrivee lv-03re and i need a amp that will complement the guitar, i will be using it mainly for strumming in a church band.

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this area, I can read reviews and what not but I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on some brands or models of amp I can take a look at. looking for 50 or 100w amp. i am leaning more on the 50w size because I doubt i can afford anything too expensive after spending a large portion of my money on the guitar already. The church I play at is not that big, so thats another reason I am leaning more on the smaller size.

I want something that will give me a nice clean sound. i want to let the notes ring loud and clear. 

thanks for taking the time to read my post 
drmlabs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 04:08:47 AM »

The best acoustic guitar amps Ive heard are the ones made by Ultrasound.  Just so happens that the lust of wanting a new guitar has prompted me to sell some gear - and I have an Ultrasound amp I am looking to sell.
If youre interested I can get the model number and other info when I get back home this weekend.
cheers
Dan Mahoney

Larrivee LS-10 (sold)
Larrivee parlors - satin mahog. / FQMS Special Koa / FQMS Special Braz.
Everett Laurel Dread
Martin 000-28ECB (sold)
Kopp  419 cutaway
Kopp Betty Swing #1  (sold)
Kopp 000-18 style
ttchen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:13:20 AM »

I have had good results with Marshall AS50R Acoustic Amp.  I think the price is hard to beat.  I am currently using a Groove Tubes SFX Stereo Amp.  I like it a lot.  I use the amp for our worship right now.

Larrivee 12 Fret OM-03 Forum Guitar
Walden T550 Travel Guitar
Psalms 96 "For the LORD is great, greatly to be praised"
moku

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 06:34:14 AM »

hay guys, i was wondering if anyone has tried one of these amps before.

Genz Benz - shenandoah 35w  or Roland AC60

expatCanuck

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:15:28 AM »

I purchased an Ultrasound AG-50DS4 recently (from GuitarAdoptions, as it happens -
kudos to Dave for a quick, effortless transaction & prompt shipping).

Filled a good sized hall with sound (my L-09 (via a retrofitted Baggs iMix) & vocals (an SM-58)).
Folks said the sound was clean.
At 26 lbs., a reasonably light amp too (a significant consideration for me, as I ruptured a disc a year ago,
and needed surgery to get full use of my leg again).

Phantom power was nice -- allowed me to mic my mando (which has no pickup) with an AT2020 condenser.
The flexibility to have two mics is what sold me over the AC-60 (which is the same price).

Recommended.

- Richard

oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures
jwb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »

+1 for the Ultrasound.  Great value and simply stunning sound reproduction.  I have a compact 100 (CP-100) that I play in church both solo and with a band and it sounds great.  The amp is small and powerful.  Any Ultrasound is a good choice and would likely set you back between 500-800 bucks depending on the model.  It is a bit of money to spend, but you won't have to buy another amp. 

Recently, my wife came in the room where I was playing my L09 through my ultrasound and she remarked at how good my guitar sounded.  I just had the amp on low volume and she did not know that the guitar was plugged in...you know an amp sounds good when you can't tell the sound is amplified!

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:11:51 PM »

I have a sedona comming in a day or 2, I'll let you know how that sounds when I do get it.  But I only use sound hole magnets so I dotn kow if my assessment will be any use.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print