woods and styles

Started by biggaliath, January 07, 2007, 08:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After reading many posts I am consfused. I read that rosewoods are best for fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming, mahog is best for fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming. Just would like to know the consensus. I have a om flamed maple with a 1-11/16 nut - what is this "supposed" to be used for?

Also would just like to say larrivee customer service is great - I was in Oxnard visiting family and needed the old style truss rod - called Brain in Vancouver and he got the oxnard factory to put one behind reception which I pickied up - all at no charge!

Quote from: biggaliath on January 07, 2007, 08:42:04 PM
After reading many posts I am consfused. I read that rosewoods are best for fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming, mahog is best for fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming. Just would like to know the consensus. I have a om flamed maple with a 1-11/16 nut - what is this "supposed" to be used for?

fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

haha I guess I walked into that!

Quote from: biggaliath on January 07, 2007, 08:42:04 PM
I have a om flamed maple with a 1-11/16 nut - what is this "supposed" to be used for?

Impressing the chickie babes!!!   :nanadance :nana_guitar :wave
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Perhaps to alleviate the confusion, we need to revisit the fundamentals. The first thing to determine what style would best fit a guitar would be construction elements such as bracing, body shape and string spacing. The second determining factor would be the builder's style and preferences, meaning that a Taylor dreadnought will not sound the same as a Martin dreadnought with the same woods. The third most important of the determining factors would be the top wood material as this accounts for the lion's share of the vibration frequency or tonal character of the guitar. The least important factor of all of these is the back and sides woods which function as "flavors" of a particular guitar's construction and builder preferences.

It all boils down to this: the guitar that best suits your playing style is the one you prefer after comparing many guitars with all the associated combinations listed above. There is no hard and fast rule that requires a fingerstylist to play a mahogany-backed OM or a flatpicker to play a rosewood-backed dreadnought. YOU decide based on what best responds to your ears and your hands. Have fun!
Singin' Fool

1997 Taylor Cujo 14
1999 Larrivee OM-10 reserve koa
2003 Taylor PG LTD
2006  Fender GDO500
2008  Taylor GC7

Quote from: biggaliath on January 07, 2007, 09:21:31 PM
haha I guess I walked into that!
:tongue:
Seriously,
When I think of this topic, I tend to also think in terms of woods in conjuction with body types.  For example a rosewood L in my mind is the ultimate modern fingerstyle guitar.  Mahogany L is about as versatile a guitar as you can find...
Your maple OM, which is beautiful by the way, in my mind would tend to lean towards the fingerpicking/flat picking side of the spectrum.  However, it would also mic/amplify incredibly well and would make an excellentall around work horse. 
How you play also greatly impacts all of this.  For example, I only play with my fingers, don't even use a pick to strum a big dred.  So, a big rosewood guitar for me ususally will sound mushy and dull, where as if someone elxe was playing it, they can get more overtones and sustian. 
These are just some of my observations so take it with a grain of salt.

Congrats on a smokin little guitar.
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster