Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Succumbing to Rosewood...  (Read 2373 times)
knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2007, 10:10:20 PM »

Ah yes...the herd is undergoing some restructuring and I've just dented the bank account with the acquisition of a gorgeous L-09.  Kudos yet again to one of our fine dealers, Trinity Guitars, for a sweet deal and fine service.  I thank you.  I just miss the overtones and reverbiness of rosewood...I need to have it.  I've come to understand that my tonal palette favors rosewood over mahogany as a tonewood.  It's taken a bit of a journey to reach this conclusion, but it's clear to me now.  While I love the clarity of the mahogany, rosewood just tickles my ear overall in all the right places.  Plus, I need an axe that is more suited to comfortable sitting down play for extended periods.

Phil...FNG...guess what will be requiring a new caring home in the very near to immediate future.   drool   That's right.  Countless months of incessant whining and emotional abuse have finally taken their toll.  It's been a hard decision to make, but the beloved J-05 will be going on the market.  I'll be listing her soon.  Farewell m'lady.  May fortune and fate guide you to loving hands.  Rosewood here I come!   

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
American Series Custom Stratocaster
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:47 PM »

drool drool

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:34:20 AM »

The dreaded Rosewood bug!
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:16:33 PM »

The dreaded Rosewood bug!

One I have managed to avoid catching so far....but a rosewood OO....sounds sweet to me...

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
jwb

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »

Overtones are simply divine.  Welcome back to the complex sound of rosewood!

That J-05 looks like it may be a hot item

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")
knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:48:13 PM »

I tell you what though...I'm struggling like heck to list it.  Could this be one of those big-time regrets waiting to happen?     I already made that mistake by parting with my J-09 a while back.  Dang!   mad  Where does all the money go?  Instead of a minister I should have considered pole dancing or something else more lucrative.     Hmmm...unsurprisingly, that does NOT make a pleasant mental image.  Moving swiftly on...

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »

I tell you what though...I'm struggling like heck to list it.  Could this be one of those big-time regrets waiting to happen?     I already made that mistake by parting with my J-09 a while back.  Crap!   mad  Where does all the money go?  Instead of a minister I should have considered pole dancing or something else more lucrative.     Hmmm...unsurprisingly, that does NOT make a pleasant mental image.  Moving swiftly on...

Don't sell the J-05!  They arent' making any more plus it's a fine voice to have on hand. Since you're already willing to have more than one guitar around, why not keep one mahogany as well as the L09.
I recently bought my first ever mahogany guitar. It has a cedar top and I really like the woody tone. However, I screwed up and sold my L09 to help pay for it. I've come to my senses and just aquired a nice C09 with a narrower neck that's more comfortable than the old L09.  Like you, I missed that Larrivee rosewood L body sound. It is so nice to have them both available for whatever the music calls for.

Don't sell the J05!
UK Mike

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »

Ah, and as for those few Braz rosewood parlors they released.........

Mike

Larrivee parlour (Sitka/Mahog)
Dave King Parlor (Alpine/Braz)
Lowden S25 (Cedar/EIR)
Pono Ukulele (all Koa)
sgarnett

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »

A local shop has a Brazillian Parlor. I very carefully avoided it while selecting my "Rosewood Special Edition" :)
feathersprings

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 12:05:18 AM »

Knowing nothing about tonewoods  , When my husband brought home his rosewood martin 0000 I was in love with it drool... then he brought home a mahogany dred.... not so in love yak . When I got my first guitar it ended up being mahogany ( with a pretty sunburst paint job to help me forget it wasnt rosewood) Now i have my wonderful little Larrivee p-09!!!  My husband loves the mahogany sound but for me it is all about rosewood .

Sherry
Martin 00-28VS Custom "Rosaleen"
Larrivee' P-03MT "Petunia"
knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 12:54:45 AM »

Don't sell the J-05!  They arent' making any more plus it's a fine voice to have on hand. Since you're already willing to have more than one guitar around, why not keep one mahogany as well as the L09.

Trust me, that is exactly what I wish I could do.  The financial situation makes things a little complicated though.  I'm thinking long and hard about this one.  Really, apart from the tone issue, the other thing is that the 17" lower bout jumbos are just difficult to play comfortably sitting down personally.  That loss of an inch with the L model Larrivees in that department makes a significant difference...plus the slightly narrower depth.  We shall see...

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 02:19:28 AM »

Any pics of the J-05 to get the juices going?   

knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 07:26:37 PM »

Here you go O vulturous one.  Don't count your chickens just yet!      

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »

Here you go O vulturous one.  Don't count your chickens just yet!      

I don't know...that guitar looks ...well...unreal!  Are you abosolutely sure you NEED to sell it?

FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 04:05:36 AM »

Yep.  You need to find a way to keep it.  Sold my J-10 which was a mistake.  Still got my J-09 maple, but wish I had kept the J-10.  Pretty hard guitar to replace, as is yours.

But then again...a man has to do what a man has to do!!!

jwb

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »

My gawd that's a nice looking guitar!   drool This has regrets written all over it...these are hard to find. 
But then again...a man has to do what a man has to do!!!
Ain't that the truth. 

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")
knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 12:54:44 PM »

You guys are making me seriously doubt my initial intentions of selling.  Been thinking about it...in the grand scheme of things, the money I'd make from selling it becomes increasingly inconsequential as the months and years go by.  Is it really worth the sacrifice?     The jury deliberates.

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 06:56:15 PM »

I dunno. A mahogany Larrivée jumbo is a double-rarity. Looking at the pictures I'm inclined to say that that J-05 is a potential "family heirloom"! 

You wouldn't ask your wife to give up her grandmother's fine china would you?

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
swainsong

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 06:10:16 AM »

Did I not just read somewhere that some cell phone company has discovered a ring tone that only those under the age of 25 can hear? I think that's the way it is with my ears and rosewood, because I simply don't see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps it has to do with me playing an all mahogany Tak for going on 30 years, and now my ear is hopelessly trained to only appreciate the deep, earthy, woody, sonorous and sympathetic vibrations that seem to be lacking in every rosewood guitar I've played since I turned, well, since I got older than 25.

Now that I'm facing the challenge of building a guitar from scratch with my bare hands the choice of tone wood is paramount, but I've already got two mahogany guitars. (Yes, the Ibanez 12 is rosewood, but that doesn't count; else I'd have to incluse my maple mandolin in the equation.) So, if rosewood is not an option for me (and believe you me, I love the look of Brazilian and Madagascar rosewoods), what choice does that leave? I'm thinking either walnut or Koa. Now, if the top is going to be Lutz spruce, which wood would you pick for the back and sides?

1978 Yamaha FG-335
1979 Takamine 349
1980 Ibanez 12 String Dread
1990 Samick f-hole Mandolin
Martin Backpacker
2005 Larrivee SD-50 SH
2007 P-05 with modified bracing and side port

Soon to be built Karol Solo multiscale
and Signature Baritone

Those who make it look effortless work the hardest
knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »

Your choice of b/s woods will be at the mercy of the kind of tonal characteristics that you intend to coax out of the guitar you're making.  The walnut should place you somewhere between mahogany and rosewood, providing you with some of the low end of rosewood and some of the clarity and crispness of mahogany.  Koa will take you more towards the mahogany side, with perhaps more midrange emphasis and definition.  All depends on what you want yourself, an audience or a prospective buyer to hear when a string is plucked.

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: