pickup time

Started by ace1979, January 03, 2007, 08:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Time has come to begin the "customizing" process of my recently purchased Larrivee D03WL (solid spruce with solid walnut b/s, dreadnaught body), I plan on adding bone saddle, and nut, possible new tuners (probably later), and new pins.  Also I need a pickup system.  I have in the past always purchased my acoustics without a pickup, then added a Fishman Natural Matrix active UST and done "ok" with that, for what I was doing with a rock band it worked well, minimal feedback issues, a bit "quacky" with my solo gigs, but typical for a UST.  So with my new Larrivee I will be doing mostly solo shows (strumming, fingerpicking, flatpicking) and some band work (louder volumes).  I feel like I may want to move onto something different than the fishman matrix I have had before....a guy at the shop suggested the fishman elipse (matrix with condensor mic) but that seems to complicated...I am a simple setup guy, like just to plug and play. I have been intrigued with the idea of the LR Baggs active M1, and a preamp if needed, but unsure if I want a soundhole pickup...but like the idea of its portablity and the clips I have heard sound rreally good.  Any opinions on systems would be greatly appreciated.  thank!!!!
Larrivee D03WL
Alvarez AF60S
Arbor AJ137
Lahaina Ukulele
Carvin AG100D
Roland Blues Cube

Ace, you're going to hear a lot of this on this particular forum, but let me be the first to chime in. The only way to go, IMHO, and confirmed as of about 10 minutes ago, is the K&K Pure Western Mini. I just wrestled with the install on my L-03 (IMO, the only drawback to these...and not a very big one at that) and tried it out through my PA 10 minutes ago. These are bar none the best and most natural sounding transducers I've ever heard. They are passive, so no battery...I just plugged it into a channel and turned up the mic pre.

I have to run now, but intend to elaborate on this later...will post a more complete review. There are lots of other great reviews of this product on the site as well.

Cheers!

I have also heard good things about this pickup, but I have also heard that it is prone to feedback...what if I used it in a louder volume setting with a band, does it cut through???? has anybody used the K and K with a pre such as the LR baggs para DI?  or does anybody have any experience with the Fishman Matrix Natural I/II with the Para DI?  keep the comments coming
Larrivee D03WL
Alvarez AF60S
Arbor AJ137
Lahaina Ukulele
Carvin AG100D
Roland Blues Cube

any other thoughts....I know there are a million pickup choices (just like guitars), but what are the folks who are playing live using now and liking with their larrivee's?  also anybody who is using the Baggs M1...do you use it with satin finish guitars or does it pickup to much of the "swoosh" sound from the finish and your arm/clothes/etc...thanks
Larrivee D03WL
Alvarez AF60S
Arbor AJ137
Lahaina Ukulele
Carvin AG100D
Roland Blues Cube

I have K&K's in four guitars.  I don't have problems with feedback much anymore.  From the reading I've done, it seems that the only (most frequent?) negative  you ever hear about K&K is the feedback issue.  And those comment seem to most often come from folk in large or loud band situation who are using a floor monitor in front of them. 

The solution seems to be to use a good amp behind or to your side and take the gutar out of the monitor. I suspect moving the monitor to your side might accomplish this same thing. 

Hope this helps,
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

recent thoughts....I really want something removable (I think) so I don't have to modify my guitar at all....so choices probably Baggs M1 and Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker....any thoughts...also with the Baggs I have heard that the "body sensitive" nature can be a problem with picking up everything, I was wondering if with a satin finish guitar if that may be a problem...also any thoughts on how these would sound if playing heavy strumming (something I do from time to time)....also anybody tried the Rare Earth Blend (adds a mini condensor mic) does it sound that much better?  how feedback prone?  thanks guys!
Larrivee D03WL
Alvarez AF60S
Arbor AJ137
Lahaina Ukulele
Carvin AG100D
Roland Blues Cube

L.R. Baggs iMix (the non-invasive/no-cut version), per the Twelfth Fret's suggestion.
I love it, and so do the folks who run the open mics that I frequent.
I think that Larrivee's 'pick-up'd' guitars now offer the iMix for a reason.
Strongly recommended.

I know there are a lot of K&K boosters but, for me, their products have been problematic at best.
Quacky, feedback-prone and dodgy.

YMMV.

Cheers,

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Quote from: expatCanuck on January 28, 2007, 01:37:48 AM
L.R. Baggs iMix (the non-invasive/no-cut version), per the Twelfth Fret's suggestion.

Do you mean the "IBeam Active"? That, the passive IBeam, and the M1 are the only setps that look noninvasive to me. Or, is there an IMix setup that uses a mic on the second channel instead of the UST Element?

Did you notice any change in the unamplified tone after installing the IBeam (due to extra mass under the bridge, assuming that's what you have)?

Quote from: sgarnett on January 28, 2007, 08:10:52 AM
Do you mean the "IBeam Active"? That, the passive IBeam, and the M1 are the only setps that look noninvasive to me. Or, is there an IMix setup that uses a mic on the second channel instead of the UST Element?

My bad.  I meant the conventional iMix.  By non-invasive, I just meant that there's no hole cut in the bass side for a control box (something that makes me cringe).  Seems that the aftermarket agrees -- 'E' versions of Larrivee's (L-09E, OM-05E ...) tend to have less value than their non-E counterparts.

My iMix does indeed have the UST pickup, but a tiny wire hole under the saddle I can easily live with.  Absolutely no adverse sonic impact.
(Tho' obviously it's not what one might recommend it for a high-value vintage/collectible instrument - by which I mean something in the $5K+ range --
I'd have no qualms putting one in (say) a Huss & Dalton or a Collings, if that was my main instrument -- but the L-09, no problem).
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures