LR Baggs Imix or K & K’s PowerMix

Started by MJG, January 03, 2007, 04:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Baggs Element UST is much better than the K&K Fantastic UST.  But the K&K Pure Mini is much better than the Baggs Ibeam.

Given that this will not be in super high volume venues, churches, small halls, cafés etc.  What would you choose and why?

By the way, I currently have the K&K Pure Mini and it is very nice.  I just feel that I need a bit more bite and immediacy to my attack at times.

Thanks...
Mike <><

Add a D-TAR Wavelength UST, with it's internal two channel preamp.  Plug the K&K mini into it.  Adjust the rudimentary eq avaialble on the D-TAR pre (set and forget).  You'll end up with a blended SBT/UST signal coming ut of the endpin.

That's an interesting idea. I've heard great things about the wavelength.

The only problem is losing your blending control.

Thanks!!!
Mike <><

i have a "no cut" Imix on my L-09 and absoutly love the sound its by far the best pickup i have ever used.

Quote from: MJG on January 03, 2007, 08:37:05 PM
That's an interesting idea. I've heard great things about the wavelength.

The only problem is losing your blending control.

Thanks!!!

My earlier post might be wrong.  CHeck with D-TAR.  It might be that you use a setereo jack and cable out of the guitar.  If so, you'd have to add a blender downline.

At Dave Wren's suggestion, I had an iMix put in my L-09.
Happy, happy, joy, joy.  Sound gets compliments at open mics from folks in the know.  No looking back. 

[In contrast, I had a K&K western in (sadly sold) L-09FM.  Now, I know that many folks here swear by the K&K product, but for me it was Not A Happy Thing -- and the K&K preamp was also problematic -- the cable-triggered on/off switch was dodgy at best..]

I don't think it's any accident that Larrivees now offer L.R. Baggs in their guitars w/ built-in pickups.

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Quote from: MJG on January 03, 2007, 04:07:48 PM
The Baggs Element UST is much better than the K&K Fantastic UST.  But the K&K Pure Mini is much better than the Baggs Ibeam.
Given that this will not be in super high volume venues, churches, small halls, cafés etc.  What would you choose and why?
By the way, I currently have the K&K Pure Mini and it is very nice.  I just feel that I need a bit more bite and immediacy to my attack at times.
Thanks...

I had K&K (western? ---- three glued-on terminals under the bridge plate) in jmy 000-15S.   It was an alright pickup.  But the preamp (previously mentioned) was indeed an issue:  on/off and adjustments made for the petite hands of a ten-year-old little girl.  And then there was the cords and linkage to my belt, etc. . .    I replaced the K&K with an IMix.   The K&K sounded good though.

I'm lost without onboard controls: I just like the versatility of being able to adjust volume and tone without running back the amp or pre-amps' controls.

L R Baggs products not only solved the problem of having onboard control but they also sounded much better.   USP's are not all that great regardless of who makes them (That's where your amp or pre- gets involved with tweaking out what you don't want).  But the IMix. . . .now that's a whole 'nuther species.   

I have two guitars with the L R Baggs IMix installed.  The 000-15S has an inboard IMix with volume and blend/texture controls at the sound hole.  My OM-03R Twelve string has an onboard IMix which makes that little twelve string sound HUGE.  I'm not exagerating at all when I say the IMix is the next best thing to a condenser mic. 

There are two downsides to the IMix:  1) they're expensive and, 2) unless you've installed them before, it's wise to pay a luthier with some LR Baggs IBeam experience to install them.   At the end of the day you'll  probably spend $300 or so to buy the unit and have it installed unless you do it as a package deal somewhere.

The other components to instrument sound re-inforcement are the amplifer and the cables.  Most acoustic amplifiers in the $400 to $1000 range are really foregiving:  you can run a cheaper usp through a good amp and end up with decent sound by tweaking the amplifer.  PA's are not as foregiving with cheap pickups.  Also, I recently discovered a major audible difference in instrument cables: I'd been using junk for years.  Quantum Audio Design Oxygen-free cable is really great.  Mogami is also recommended and well as Kordex.   Check this thread out if you're in the mood:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=15026.0

or this one: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93644

Happy hunting.

Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.