BLUEGRASS STORY

Started by Acousticly Yours, January 01, 2007, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm NEW TO THE FORUM AND JUST LEARNED A LESSON. I WAS SHARING THIS STORY AFTER READING SOME OF THE OTHER TOPICS. WHEN I POSTED MY TIME WAS UP AND IT SEEMS MY SLOWLY TYPED ( THE ONLY WAY I KNOW HOW TO TYPE) STORY WAS LOST. I'M GOING TO TRY AGAIN, IF BY CHANCE MY ORIGANAL SHOWS UP WE WILL SEE IF I CAN TELL THIS STORY THE SAME WAY TWICE IN A ROW. THIS WILL BE A CONDENCED VERTION AS MY TYPING FINGER IS GETTING TIERED. I STARTED PLAYING GUITAR AT THE AGE OF FIFTY. THAT WAS SEVEN YEARS AGO. I TOTALLY ENJOY MY NEW HOBBY I WISH I HAD ACTED EARLIER IN LIFE ON MY DESIRE TO PLAY. ONE THING I WAS NOT READY FOR WAS THE DESIRE TO BUY AND TRADE GUITARS ALWAYS LOOKING TO OWN THE PERFECT GUITAR. I HAVE SPENT MUCH MORE TIME AND MONEY THAN I (OR MY WIFE ) WAS PREPARED FOR. IN THE LAST SEVEN YEAR I HAVE DEVELOPED A SET OF PREFERENCES THAT BEST FIT ME. LARRIVEE IS THE STANDARD FOR ME TODAY. MY FIRST LARRIVEE WAS A D-03 THAT I TRADED FOR A L-10E THAT I STILL OWN BOTH BOUGHT NEW I ADDED A OM-60 6 MONTHS AGO. I HAVE OWNED 6 OTHER GUITARS IN ADDITION TO 3 ELECTRIC BASSES AND ONE ACOUSTIC BASS AND TWO MANDOLINS OVER THE YEARS. I HAVE WITH THE ENCOURAGEMENT OF MY WIFE TO TRADE GUITARS KEEPING MY INVENTORY TO AROUND 3 OR 4 INTRUMENTS AT ONE TIME. MY INTRODUCTION TO MUSIC WAS FROM SOME BLUEGRASS PLAYERS THAT ALSO PLAYED ON THE WORSHIP TEAM AT CHURCH. I HAVE FOUND THE MOST GUITAR PLAYER ENCOURAGE NEWCOMMERS TO PLAY. MARTIN WAS WHAT I WAS TOLD TO BUY FOR BLUEGRASS PLAYING. I NEVER LIKED OWNING ANYTHING THAT OTHERS HAD SO I SET OUT TO FIND MY OWN PERFEST GUITAR. EVER SENCE I BOUGHT MY LARRIVEE MY BLUEGRASS FRIENDS WOULD TELL ME IT WAS NICE BUT NOT A MARTIN. BACK AT THE CAMP SITE OR INSIDE MY HOME THESE GUYS CAN'T KEEP THER HANDS OFF MY L-10. CROSS PICKERS GO NUTS OVER IT ( IN PRIVATE) I HOPE MY OM-60 WILL BE AS POPULAR WITH THE CLOSET BLUEGRASS LARRIVEE FRIENDS. ANT SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE ON SET UP ADVISE? I DID CHANGS THE SADDLE ON MY L-10 TO BONE I LIKED THAT ADDITION. I LOOK FORWARD TO MY TIME HERE ON THE FORUM, WHAT I HAVE READ SO FAR SEEMS LIKE THE LARRIVEE CONNECTION IS A COMMOND BOND.

:ph34r:

People should get over the only martins for bluegrass already.  Martins are great but there are many other companies making, as good or better bluegrass instruments.  Esp, santa cruz, collings, huss and dalton etc.  I thought the l-10 came with bone nut/saddle.  A lot of folks experience GAS(Guitar Aquisition Syndrome) and I can totally understand that.  Glad to hear you are happy with your purchases.

Welcome here, Acousticly Yours. :welcome:

Just as a side note, typing in all caps is considered "shouting". And it's a little harder to read.

Have a nice time here! I would love to see pictures of your Larrivées. :tongue:
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

Great post, so glad you found Larrivees!
By the way, if Martins were the perfect 'grass guitar (Point this out to some of those guys some time) why don't all the best players play them? Good players play what suits them, and like the othre poster said, Santa Cruz, Collings, etc make great guitars for Bluegrass too! 

:wink:
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

Great post A Y,

A good BG players talent will shine through no matter what guitar he plays, and a Martin won't make him sound any better if he can't play. I'm living proof  :roll
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-05MT
Larrivee P-05
Martin D-18GE
Martin 0M-42
Rainsong JM1000
Beard Gold Tone round neck
Ibanez AS 103- NT custom
CA Cargo
Collings 01

What I like to do when I'm not murdering perfectly good guitar tunes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterdancer/

Thanks Gemnoc for the side note I'm new to this forum procedure.

No problem, Acousticly Yours. It's a "rule" common to most discussion forums.
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

Hey A Y
Glad you found us.    I think you'll find that Martins, while they are fine guitars, are not considered to be the holy grail around this forum.  I've owned a Martin D-15 and have played a few others but, to be honest, I don't see what all the fuss is about.  As others have said, it's more about the player than the guitar.  I think Martin guitars are more about tradition than anything else.  The fact that your friends can't keep their hands off your Larrivee in some situations tells you all you need to know.  They know they've paid big money to have that Martin name on the headstock when they could have had just as good a guitar much cheaper.  Don't let 'em get to ya.  You've got fine instrument that will play bluegrass, blues, jazz, country,....whatever you ask of it.
Lynn