Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elixir alternative....help me pick  (Read 1581 times)
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »

Howdy all....

I know string discussions get old...but I'm looking for Little help...I've been using Elixir Nano PBs on my OM-05mt for the last 6 months or so and I really like them...but as I am feeling poor at the moment I am looking for advice on something else to try (ie cheaper.. ).  I really like the "low profile" windings on the Nano's...really cuts down on the string noise...and of course I like the long life span...I've actually found that these last strings have gotten dirty and are starting to feel funny, as in slippery, and the tone hasn't died yet...its been 2 months.  Anyway...so can y'all recommend some non-coated strings that have smaller windings?  I've tried Dad Eh16 and John P PBS and love the tone but can't get over the string noise.
what do you think?

Also...does anyone do anything creative or useful with their old strings?  just curious.

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 04:15:30 AM »

Have you tried D'Addario's EXP? They're coated, and sligthly cheaper than the Elixir... same winding as the EJ though.

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 04:19:13 AM »

I've heard a few times that Elixers are coated D'Adarios. Don't know if that's true or not.

Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 04:25:48 AM »

Another option, the DIY way...

1 - purchase a bunch of regular, cheap non-coated strings
2 - purchase a can of spray-on lacquer
3 - ...

OK I'll shut up now.

I personally don't care much for coated strings, but I understand you. The Elixir are really on the expensive side...

Try buying a 12-string set. Bought a pack of EXP38 for my sister's 12-string Aria. $27 (CAD) Ouch!

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)
SongMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 06:48:33 AM »

Webstrings are cheap and Sound good to my ear. THey might not last nearly as long as Exixier but the price is not nearly as much either.
I think the site was  www.webstrings.com
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:53:32 AM »

I am fond of both the D'Addario and the Pearse stings.  Can't go wrong with either..

Also, funny you should ask about anyone having an idea of something to do with old strings.  A couple of Christmases ago I happened to notice a hook on my garage wall which had been a convenient spot to hang my old coiled up steel guiitar strings.  In a moment of pure inspiration I took one complete set of 6 old stings and coiled them (kind of wove and braided them together) into a tight circle about 2" to 3" in diameter.  I left the ball ends hanging down into the center of the circle.   Tie a piece of Christmas wrapping ribbon on it and hang it from your Christmas tree.      An instant beautiful little ornament that looks a little like a metallic wreath.  I've given out lots of these "ornaments in the last two years and everyone seems to like them. (At least they do hang them on their trees.)   Add a little more ribbon if you like;  use your imagination.  It's better than throwing them away.
Another thing you can do is make the same shape only in a bigger circle and then attach a small bell to one edge. Put this on your doorknob at Christmas and it will play you a little tune every time you open and close the door.

I've got way too much time on my hands

Tis the season.    Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas. Happy Hannukha etc. to one and all.

Lynn
(tuffythepug)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:48:27 AM »

one word:  Cleartones

I was one of the fortunate folks who got a free set when Cleartone signed up here.  I wasn't sure what to think of them at first, but they've been on my guitar over a month now and still sound amazing.  AAMOF, I think they sound better now than when I first put them on.  I highly recommend giving them a try.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 02:13:17 PM »

D'Addario EXP seem to last as long as the Elixirs, but as soon as my current set goes dead, I'm switching back to Nanowebs.

The nanowebs are the best for reducing string squeak.  Long life means that they pay for themselves in my opinion.  I don't have the acid fingers issue, so my unwound strings last quite awhile.  I replace strings when I notice the bright edge disappearing from the wound strings.  Both EXP and Nanowebs do well in this category in my opinion.  They may not be quite as bright starting off new as uncoated strings, but their existing brightness lasts much longer to my ears.

I've strayed from nanowebs a couple times and I keep going back to them.  I tried the EXPs when they had a free deal on them on the web - buy one get a set free with a mail in coupon.  I'm on the 2nd set right now.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 02:36:45 PM »

Thanks all...

I do have my free set of Cleartones still in the box...in fact I had honestly fogotten all about them...   So I'll give those a try next.  And then my wife told me to go into the guitar shop and pick out some stocking stuffers...So I got 1 set of Martin SP PB lights to try on the OM and Some Martin 80/20 meds to try on the Parlor.  I have a feeling I will be returning to Elixirs afterwards but its fun to try new strings every once in a while.

Tuffy,

Great idea on the mini string wreaths....I have about a dozen coiled sets of strings in a heap at the house right now...maybe I'll play around with them and see what happens...any chance you have a picture of one of yours?

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:03:28 PM »

Elixr's are more expensive to buy, but given their life span the price is about the same as most quality non-coated strings.
Back in the days when I only had one main guitar I used to change strings every month. Now that my collection has grown coated strings really seems to work for me.
I usually look for some bargains online and buy several sets at a time. I am still working through the 10 pack of D'addarios I got at GC.
I do like the sound of the Elixr PB Nano's over the EXP's and will most likely switch back.
One of my friends once said "life is too short to play a bad guitar". I will add to this, "why use crappy strings?".
If you have a great sounding guitar, get the feel and sound you like, enjoy the guitar. In the long run if you spend a little more on strings it will be worth the enjoyment.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 05:58:18 PM »

to that Port H

I think people can get too caught up n the string chase...when I was heavily into test mode with different strings it got to the point where I couldn't remember which ones I liked and which I didn't.  just too many options

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
sfumato

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 12:29:35 AM »

Hi Blue - I think there was another thread recently that mentioned an online store called the Music Oasis. 

If you end up liking the Martin SP 80/20's, you might want to try the SP+ 80/20s which are coated and may last longer than the uncoated SPs.  Music Oasis has them for only $10/pack, which is the cheapest I've seen, especially since shipping is only 1 cent.  Check it out here: http://www.themusicoasis.com/items/strings~guitar-accessories/acoustic-strings/martin-sp-80-20-bronze-coated-acoustic-strings-msplus3000-detail.htm 

I just ordered a bunch of sets and got them in a few days, no problem.

They also have the Elixir Phosphor Bronze sets at $11.95, which is a good price compared to what most local shops charge.

Have fun!
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 12:38:29 AM »

My favorites on my OM-03MT are Martin 80/20s and  2nd place goes to JP 80/20s. To me Phos. bronze just sounds to refined and modern on this guitar. I don't mind the string noise, it's a very natural thing you know.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: