Larrivee in Worship

Started by Mike Deane, December 19, 2006, 12:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guys,

I was just wondering any of you use your Larrivee in your church worship services.   :nana_guitar

I generally see a lot of Taylors, no Larrivees at all.

Mike

I used to play in a church praise group and used my Larrivee exclusivley.  For some reason, there is a huge portion of the Christian music community loyal to Taylor guitars. I have no idea why, but it is a strong connection.

I played in a 100 guitar orchestra a few months ago (it was a special musical event put together by a local Christian talk radio host) and there were tons of Taylors there.  Mine was the only Larrivee, but I can't tell you how many people commented on the tone of my guitar. There was even this one guy who said that he really regretted getting his Taylor (cedar top, RW back/sides) and blowing all his money on it when he could have gotten two Larrivees like mine for what he paid for it.  The guy leading the event was playing a Taylor. 

I know Taylors are good instruments, but there is a very real sense of "arriving" in the Christian community if you get one for some reason. 

I don't play in a traditional church setting anymore, so things may be changing.  I'll admit to being out of the loop a bit these days.

I use my Larrivees to lead worship in several bible studies.

I think that Taylor has done a great  job of marketing their product so they were able to get their guitars in the hands of a few well known Christian musicians, Steven Curtis Chapman comes to mind. I also think that there are too many people that see their favorite singer using brand ....... whatever and they think that by buying that instrument they are going to sound like they do.
Ruben

yes, our team has four guitars, three of them are Taylors, and I am the lone Larrivee.

Really wonder why!  I think both are really nice guitars, with Larrivee having better values.  You'd think there would be more Larrivees being used.

Quote from: rrgguitarman on December 19, 2006, 12:59:14 PM
I use my Larrivees to lead worship in several bible studies.

I think that Taylor has done a great  job of marketing their product so they were able to get their guitars in the hands of a few well known Christian musicians, Steven Curtis Chapman comes to mind. I also think that there are too many people that see their favorite singer using brand ....... whatever and they think that by buying that instrument they are going to sound like they do.
Agreed.  I think Taylors marketing dept puts in more hours than their R&D and production departments combined.

guitarman,

were you ever on the Carvin board before?  If so, I believe we talked over there.  In addition to a Larrivee, I also use a Carvin 780S.

Mike

Quote from: Mike Deane on December 19, 2006, 01:04:20 PM
guitarman,

were you ever on the Carvin board before?  If so, I believe we talked over there.  In addition to a Larrivee, I also use a Carvin 780S.

Mike

Carvin C750TS here. Yes, I drop in from time to time.
Did you get a chance to attend the 60th celebration in San Diego?
Ruben

I pastor a church & own 2 Taylors.  Before I bought my first Taylor (9 months ago) I had seen NO Taylor ads.  However, I had heard great praise for Taylor guitars by word of mouth for years.  That certainly played a huge factor in my decision to purchase a Taylor.  I'd never met an owner of a Larrivee.  Maybe I'm weird, but I trust personal testimony more than commercial advertisements.  I now have a very positive view of Larrivees from my time here on the board.  When I get a chance, I may make a trip to Wildwood Music (Coshocton, OH) for a Larrivee test drive.

Our worship leader plays a D10E.  I play with him, using either my D03R, or my D03-12.  Our piper has a DV10E, and my neice who ocassionaly leads worship for the kids and some women's events has an OM10 with a cedar top.  We are Larrivee Christian Fellowship.

Larrivee DV10-E
Larrivee OMV03-RE
Larrivee D03-12

never knew Larrivee has cedar top.  I thought Larrivee is Sitka Spruce.  when did that cedar top happen?  Do they still make it?

btw, I like that "Larrivee Christian Fellowship," and would love to visit some time.

Quote from: Larry V. on December 19, 2006, 02:05:04 PM
Our worship leader plays a D10E.  I play with him, using either my D03R, or my D03-12.  Our piper has a DV10E, and my niece who occasionally leads worship for the kids and some women's events has an OM10 with a cedar top.  We are Larrivee Christian Fellowship.

That's a big larrivee family (and great taste, too!!!) !!!!

Quote from: Mike Deane on December 19, 2006, 02:15:33 PM
never knew Larrivee has cedar top.  I thought Larrivee is Sitka Spruce.  when did that cedar top happen?  Do they still make it?

btw, I like that "Larrivee Christian Fellowship," and would love to visit some time.

There were a few cedar tops done, but i don't think very many.... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in   :smile:
2005 Larrivée  LV-03
2010 Larrivée  00-03 Forum IV
2011 Larrivée  RS-04
2013 Larrivée  D-40

I think one of the guitarist from Hillsong uses Larrivee.

I used  L-05 at church and now use D-03R.

Yes, I use my Larrivée here in France.
I'm the worship leader for the youth group and for the payer meetings. We got several worship leaders, one of us owns a Guild DV-52.
I received my L-05E one week ago, and all I can say is that it's absolutely great!
Ando

2006 Larrivée L-05E

For regular acoustic stuff these days (and for a while now) it's my C-09 exclusively.  My Taylor 612c doesn't match the Larrivee's depth of tone complexity, or expressiveness.

Brett

Why yes, I use my L-09 w/ iMix "nocut"  to lead music for our Sunday evening Liturgy and for all the youth events, and a monthly Praise,Worship, and Adoration prayer service. 

sound of acoustic, was that the 100 guitars of praise over in Bedford, Tx  if it is, I believe I heard from my Larrivee expert (Steve @ Andersons Guitar Gallery in Frisco) that they were having a 1000 sometime around the metroplex, if so do you have any info?

Quote from: rrgguitarman on December 19, 2006, 01:13:23 PM
Carvin C750TS here. Yes, I drop in from time to time.
Did you get a chance to attend the 60th celebration in San Diego?

No, did not attend that.  When did that happen?  I am in the Midwest and have been working like a dog  :arrow to support my family  :thumb and church ministry  :guitar, which are cool   :thumbsup.  I don't and can't get out very often.

Quote from: love2play21 on December 19, 2006, 04:04:08 PM
Why yes, I use my L-09 w/ iMix "nocut"  to lead music for our Sunday evening Liturgy and for all the youth events, and a monthly Praise,Worship, and Adoration prayer service. 

sound of acoustic, was that the 100 guitars of praise over in Bedford, Tx  if it is, I believe I heard from my Larrivee expert (Steve @ Andersons Guitar Gallery in Frisco) that they were having a 1000 sometime around the metroplex, if so do you have any info?
yes, it was the one in Bedford. I was a part of the very first event and it was a truly memorable experience.  the 1000 guitar event has already occured. happened in October at Reunion Arena in the Big D (and I do mean Dallas). 

it was Taylor-mania at that event.  but there were some other very nice guitars there as well.  I was the lone Larrivee of the bunch. I thought that was kind of weird that out of 100 guitars in the same room, mine was the only Larrivee.  I kept getting comments like, "Oh, I've always wanted to see one of those in person..." or "I've heard of those, but have never gotten to play one..."  it was great fun.  wish I could have been a part of the 1000 guitar event, but I was unable to attend. I have a buddy that did and he said it was unreal.

I was wanting to go to the 100 but I was busy and could not make the practices, my mom attended and said it was incredable.  Do you know if their planning on doing any more 100 or 1000 anytime next year? There would be at least 2 Larrivees then!

I have 3 guitars to choose from. A Martin and 2 Larrivees. I like the OM-03R. I use it in Church about twice a month. In November I brought my L-03 with me to France and Belguim and Did some worship music there. I worked very well.

Quote from: love2play21 on December 19, 2006, 06:11:56 PM
I was wanting to go to the 100 but I was busy and could not make the practices, my mom attended and said it was incredable.  Do you know if their planning on doing any more 100 or 1000 anytime next year? There would be at least 2 Larrivees then!
not sure, but you could check out:  www.1000guitarsofpraise.com for details.