strapjack installation made easy

Started by beel, December 12, 2006, 01:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'd just like to thank Larrivee for pre-reaming the endpin hole of my guitar for a strapjack installation.

I decided I couldn't put off changing the strings on my 12-string any longer so it would also be a good time to install a strapjack while I had all the strings off. I took an Allen wrench to the endpin and unscrewed it. When I removed it there was the neatest pre-bored 1/2" hole just ready for the strapjack of my Baggs M1A. -- It took a little maneuvering to get the jack in the hole but I remembered a tip about using a drinking straw to guide the strapjack into the hole and that worked on the second try. Somehow I got the depth setting right the first time so all I had to do was tighten it all up.

My first string change on my OM-03-12R took awhile though. My old 12-string had a tailpiece to thread the strings through, that was easy. Dealing with 12 bridge pins is, uh, different. Anyway, it's over and done for awhile...I hope.

The Larrivee truss rod wrench fits into a strapjack perfectly and is long enough to guide the strapjack into the hole with ease. Plus it is much stronger than the straw.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I had a good plastic straw but I wish I'd thought of using the truss rod wrench. Good tip.

Quote from: drathbun on December 12, 2006, 11:48:25 PM
The Larrivee truss rod wrench fits into a strapjack perfectly and is long enough to guide the strapjack into the hole with ease. Plus it is much stronger than the straw.

hey thanks for the tip!!!

I'm going to be replacing my Fishman UST/Matrix system with a K&K, so I'll need to hassle with the endpin jack.  I did have it all removed and ready for the K&K, then I had an outing this past weeking with the cub scouts singing carols at the local nursing home, so I had to re-install.   One thing I do know, my arm isn't long enough!!!

I ended up using a long screwdriver fed into the hole, and slipping the jack onto that.

now that I think about it, I'm going to make up a tool that has a sacrificed 1/4" plug welded onto a long rod so I can just insert the tool from the outside with the 1/4" plug inserted all the way to the sound hole, plug on the endpin jack, withdraw tool, re-thread nut and washer, done.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud