Set-up in Chicagoland?

Started by Novalis, December 11, 2006, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm hoping somebody here knows a good shop in the greater Chicagoland area. I'm still fairly new to Illinois and don't know who has a good reputation (or which shops have poor reputations for that matter!). I decided to lower the action of my SD-50 for fingerstyle since it seems to be crying to be played fingerstyle. Thanks.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Just the one place downtown?
Nobody else here on the forum from the greater Chicago area? :?
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;

Two names that have been recommended to me (I am out in far west burbs):

Mark Babin (Hampshire)
Rick Cremer (North Aurora)

If you need repairs, or something more involved that just a set up, I'd contact Mark Babin in Hampshire. Great guy, and highly recommended, and an authorized Taylor and Martin Repair Technician. 847-683-9597. He is definitely the acoustic guitar expert out of the 2. He is able to fix cracks or anything else you might need. He also does work for Dave from Guitar Adoptions. You need to give Mark a call to make an appointment as he works out of his home.

Rick Cremer will work on acoustics, electrics, amps, etc. His shop is located at 153 S Lincolnway, North Aurora (just north of Pedal & Spoke Bike shop).
The phone number is 630-897-0006.

In Evanston: www.guitarworksltd.com
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Thanks, I'm from the NW burbs and those are all much easier to get to than the one in Downtown. I really hate going downtown for anything except my annual trip to the Jazz Record Mart; best blues and jazz selection in I've ever seen.

i'd recommend against going to guitar works unless you can get the owner to work on your guitar. they botched a very simple set-up job for my friend...fortunately, the owner re-did it at no charge.

i've had a good experience with 3rd coast guitars.

http://www.thirdcoastguitar.com/
Paragon
Gibson
Webber

I'm in the NW Burbs too - Far NW Burbs to be exact - I take my setups to Music Gallery in Highland Park (North Burbs) - it's almost an hour drive for me, but it's well worth it.  For about $50, they will set the guitar up perfectly.  I've had a number of hack set-ups in the past, so driving out there is not really a big deal to me.  Great shop over there, the entire staff is very helpful and friendly.

http://www.musicgalleryinc.com

Quote from: bleumax on January 07, 2007, 06:53:42 AM
i'd recommend against going to guitar works unless you can get the owner to work on your guitar. they botched a very simple set-up job for my friend...

I recently learned about Guitar Works the hard way. After having my SD-50 set-up there, I had to take it back for more work because it started buzzing like a sitar. Got home the second time and it STILL buzzed like crazy (it sounded great BEFORE anybody there touched it, only after they lowered the action did the problems start).

After having given them a second chance, I decided I didn't want ANYBODY there touching my guitar again, so right now my Larrivee is at Mark Babin's in Hampshire. It only took him a few seconds to figure out what was wrong: he said the saddle was lowered way too much but not to worry, he'd get it sounding great.

Quote from: kensmith on January 01, 2007, 09:44:15 AM
Two names that have been recommended to me (I am out in far west burbs):

Mark Babin (Hampshire)
Rick Cremer (North Aurora)

If you need repairs, or something more involved that just a set up, I'd contact Mark Babin in Hampshire. Great guy, and highly recommended, and an authorized Taylor and Martin Repair Technician. 847-683-9597. He is definitely the acoustic guitar expert out of the 2. He is able to fix cracks or anything else you might need. He also does work for Dave from Guitar Adoptions. You need to give Mark a call to make an appointment as he works out of his home.

:+1:
Just got setup and highly recommend Marc.

http://www.babinguitars.com/
Marc Babin
847-683-9597
508 Prairieview Pkwy, Hampshire, IL 60140
Northwest Chicagoland area

Sorry been out for awhile.  I have used Third Coast downtown (Racine) for a couple setups and new bone nut and saddle on my D-03....sounds great!