Waiting to Open: How Long?

Started by Novalis, December 06, 2006, 03:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anybody know how long one should wait before taking a guitar out of the case when brought in from a different climate? I have always been generous and waited around 12 hours when travelling. Just got another guitar by way of UPS today and the package was sitting around in 30-something degree weather all morning on the truck and I don't want to take any chances. What's the consensus on how long to let it acclimate before opening up the package? Thanks.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

I just sent a guitar from Florida up to Pittsburgh and asked them to be careful when opening. They said they always wait 24 hours when there is a significant temp change.

I would wait till the box felt room temp, then take the case out. once the case felt room temp, open it and feel the face of the guitar if warm take it out. I don't think Larrivee's finish is susceptible to finish cracks anyways.

:ph34r:

I'd just take the case out of the box and then just give her an hour or two, well being impatient I'd most likely wait 2-5 mins and pull her out, but that's probably not smart.

I think you're doing the right thing IMHO.  30 something isn't too bad, though; maybe 8 - 12 hours.
Any colder than that personally I would do a definite overnight wait at least.
Somewhere along the line I got the impression that the type of finish matters with regard to this.
Nitrocellulose would be more prone to cracking than a polyester type?  Anybody got input?
Or that may be from dryness/lack of humidifying.

Open the box, feel the case & estimate the temperature, find a space with a temperature in that approximate range, then take the guitar out and play 'til frostbite sets in.      :nana_guitar