Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a guitar- Spruce/Walnut  (Read 9133 times)
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »

Here is the guitar going through the binding jig, the ledge is being cut at a depth just slightly deeper than the binding itself leaving room for glue expansion.

Then the bindings and purfling bent, cut, and ready to be glued on.

And here they are being tightly wrapped into position assuring no gaps.

Cheers,
Greg
inspector13

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »

It looks great Greg. Keep it coming.
Thanks

2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »

Here is a jig I built to inlay the tailblock piece, it has 4 independently turning bolts/clamps which enable a very precise alignment of the inlay.

Here is the jig in action with the router cutting out the tail piece.

Here is the resulting inlay, although I chose to add a flamed maple purfling piece on this particular one.

greggg

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2007, 01:18:56 AM »

Here are some of the parts used to create the fretboard..... also some pics of the fretboard being glued on to the neck.

Cheers,
Greg
inspector13

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2007, 02:18:13 PM »

Hey Greg,
How the build going? Haven't had any updates in a while.

2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2007, 03:41:28 PM »

Hi All,

Yeah, no new postings as I was out in California where I spent a FULL week training with the master, Ervin Somogyi. Oh my, I am transformed as a guitar builder. I learned that my guitars are decent, as the one I'm showing in this thread (which is actually finished and siiting in the hands of it's owner in California) was picked(via a blindfold test)as a favorite amongst those guitars brought by the other 10 luthiers in the class. BUT, there is no doubt that my guitars will get MUCH better through the lessons learned from Mr. Somogyi. I'll try to post some pics soon showing the resulting guitar, then I've got a couple more ready to go, I'd be happy to post some build photos here on those as well.

Cheers,
Greg
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »

Keep them coming Gregg I think every one here enjoys them.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »

Hey Gregg, how about posting some photos of the finished walnut dread so we can all see it? drool

greggg

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2007, 03:54:06 PM »

Hi Denis,

I took some hurried photos of the finished guitar at Somogyi's workshop as I had to send the guitar out from there and they turned out really crappy, I'll post them but they do not do the wood justice. I finished the guitar literally the day before I left for the workshop so I had no time to take good photos at home, oh well lesson learned.

Cheers,
Greg
stuco

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »

We don't care, I'd love to see some crappy photos of the finished guit. 
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »

We don't care, I'd love to see some crappy photos of the finished guit. 

+1

Well put stuco   

greggg

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2007, 07:57:06 PM »

O.K....O.K... Here they are, they are bad though! I also included some comments from the owner who received the guitar this weekend and posted remarks on another forum, I was so happy that the guitar was well-received.

Hi Greg, and fellow members who are following this Thread,
I received Greg's guitar on Sat. morning the day before yesterday, and was very impress with his talent. When I opened the case up I was afraid to pick it up because it looked so pretty on the top besides I wanted it to acclimate to my room also. So only about an hour later I picked it up and looked and felt how it was build and was very impressed with the way it was build.
Then I let my ears be the judge, I also was afraid that it would be only pretty to my eyes because I've played quite a few pretty guitars that didn't talk to me.
To my surprise, I have found the sound that I was yearning for so many years, I personally have quite a few good guitars (5 Taylors, 5 Martins and some others just to say that I think I know what I'm talking about) that I like but this one has the tone of its own that I think it suits my playing style.
I was almost in a shocking state, I tried to think if it's the case of " New toy syndrome", so I just took my time playing it almost all yesterday and then today and tried to find what I didn't like about it but it happened to be "the more I play, the more I like it both tone and how it felt to my hands"
I know it's really subjective to talk about the tone, I always try to refrain from explain that because I believe that what I like may not be the tone that you like and vice versa and we all have to respect that.
I picked Greg to build guitar because I had a chance to play his #2 which is very well build but it's not my spec., so I had enough confidence to have him build mine and certainly glad I did that. I know that we didn't really know how it would come out but it must be my destiny to have an honor to be the current custodian of this fine guitar and I can tell you about the tone of this one, it's up neck to neck with my other fine guitars and very possible that I will play it for a very long time to come.
Thank you Greg, you have shown me your talent and this is just your beginning and it's only gonna get better all the time...   

Cheers,
Greg
SongMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2007, 08:02:40 PM »

It's simply beautiful Greg! WOW! You are gifted.
SongMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

It's simply beautiful Greg! WOW! You are gifted. -David-
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2007, 08:21:52 PM »

Thank you so much David, I really appreciate the kind words!

Thanks Again,
Greg
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2007, 01:19:40 PM »

Here are some more pics of the guitar that I never showed as it moved through the finishing stages, all of these are before buffing so the depth and clarity are not as sharp as they ended up being, but fun none the less.

Cheers,
Greg
expatCanuck

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2007, 06:06:58 PM »

Greg -

Absolutely stunning instruments.  Both of them.
Any .mp3's available to hear the sonics?
Any training other than what you learned from your father & Ervin Somogyi?

Cheers.

- Richard

oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures
inspector13

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2007, 06:13:48 PM »

Very nice Greg! We can't wait for the next guitar and the next thread.  What is up next? Keep them coming we are enjoying it.

2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2007, 06:40:01 PM »

Hi Richard and thank you very much,

I wish I had some recordings of these guitars, I don't own any equipment to do so, but I'm planning on having some recordings made of an upcoming guitar by someone who is quite talented and has the means to do so. I've decided to have a website created for my guitar building pursuits, it is a passion of mine, seems reasonable to move in this direction. When the site is established I hope to have recordings available for just the reason you mentioned. Regarding training and the direction I've taken with my building, everything I've learned has come from lots of reading, intuition, trial and error, and of course Ervin Somogyi's influence which is mind boggling. The training from Ervin is beyond description, he has taken the mystery out of guitar-building, I truly believe he has taken me 20+ years into the future relative to my learning curve, honestly there are many things learned from Ervin that I probably would never have realized. There were several full-time professional builders in the class and they had the "Oh My Gosh" look too! Most of the guys in the class had trained with other luthiers at one time or another, most of them felt as though the blinders were not lifted until Somogyi's training. Boy am I thankful to have had the opportunity to train with Ervin, at this time I can't imagine training with anyone else, I may change my mind in the future, but for now I feel as though the master has spoken and I was fortunate enough to be within earshot.

Cheers,
Greg
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »

Inspector13,

I just started building 2 more this weekend....one is an Austrailian Blackwood & Lutz Spruce 000 size guitar.....the other is a Honduran Rosewood & Lutz Spruce 000 guitar. I'll start posting some pics as I move along, building 2 at a time slows everything down a bit so the postings may be spread apart a tad more. I'm very excited about these two guitars as I get to incorporate what I learned at the Somogyi class, I believe they will be at another level tonally, for me that is something to really look forward to.

Cheers,
Greg
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: