Larrivee Finish Problem? Have you an Explanation?

Started by Leeplaysblues, December 02, 2006, 12:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK.

Has anyone seen this type of flaw before in Mahogany? I'm a little concerned about the finish on my Larrivee LV03e. As you can see from the photos if the light is at just the right angle a milky white swirling is evident in a number of places. This is invisible in general lighting and at most angles.

The finish itself is flawless in most light but in such a quality guitar I am perplexed at what this problem is and if it needs a warranty refinish; something I am reluctant to do as the tone on this guitar floored everyone who heard it. In fact a major store here is looking into stocking Larrivee after the owner played this guitar.

Anyway the guitar is a 2002 model and has been on the dealers wall for 4 years, I got it with full warranty and the flaw is invisible usually and a lot less pronounced in normal light than in the photos. I am not bothered as such if it is only a cosmetic flaw but I would like to know what is causing/caused this blemish and if I should be concerned.

Martin D28
Taylor 414e Ltd 2006
Larrivee LV 05e

That is rather unusual. Never seen anything like that before. Sounds like you got a good price and since the sound is good I wouldn't go take the chance of mucking things up by having it refinished. Keep it the way it is and enjoy. You got me wondering about what that could be under the finish, though. I'm sure somebody here might have an idea, I sure don't.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Email those pics to larrivee and see what they think.

If you e-mail them......good luck.

Someone wiped or brushed the back against something before it was cured by the UV lights.  Question is how did it get through QC and why did you have to pay full price from a dealer for it.  Dealer should have sent it back first.

Refinishing the back will not affect the tone.  Not doing it will keep it from reselling.  Up to you.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Hard to tell without the guitar in my hands, but if it's been on a dealers wall for 5 years, about anything could have happened to it in that time.  But of course if the smear is under the finish, it happened during the build.  I'd also be curious to what Larrivee might have to say about it.
good luck
Cheers
Larrivee LS-10 (sold)
Larrivee parlors - satin mahog. / FQMS Special Koa / FQMS Special Braz.
Everett Laurel Dread
Martin 000-28ECB (sold)
Kopp  419 cutaway
Kopp Betty Swing #1  (sold)
Kopp 000-18 style

Its a build problem.  I'm surprised it made it through QC, unless there is moisture under the finish and it blushed during curing.

Give Larrivée a chance.  They have a great track record of honest, ethical evaluations of warranty issues.  They are not shy about Quality Customer Service.

If you don'y hear from them soon, give Brain T.  @ Larrivée a call. He will take good care of you.

DS
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person