NEED a DI box

Started by moku, November 24, 2006, 12:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hay guys, i am in the market for a DI box. i recently bought a lv-03re and i would be using it at my church. I am new to this whole concept for DI boxes, if anyone has any input that can put me on the right path for a brand or model of DI boxes that would be great.

Also i was reading about active and passive DI boxes, what does that mean; and which one would best suit my needs. I don't want to spend a lot of money, at most 70 dollars CAD of possible.

thanks  :guitar

My vote goes for the L.R, Baggs Para DI. Simple and straightforward to use and very well made.
Good value for the money and heavily discounted at many online shops.

OG
Larrivee OM-03R
Taylor K12
Taylor XXX-RS
Regal RC-58TT
Regal RC-2
Chinese Yueqin

Moku, Answer these questions and then I can help:
- What pickup did your LV-03RE come with? Does it have a battery?  Does it have on-board EQ (bass/mid/treble)?
- What will you be plugging into at your church, (1/4" or XLR)?

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: dberch on November 24, 2006, 10:29:52 AM
Moku, Answer these questions and then I can help:
- What pickup did your LV-03RE come with? Does it have a battery?  Does it have on-board EQ (bass/mid/treble)?
- What will you be plugging into at your church, (1/4" or XLR)?

David

hay david, my lv-03re comes with L.R. Baggs Element Notch system (Single Source), it does use a 9v batt. and has on-board EQ (bass/mid/treble). at my church i think it would be pluged into XLR.

thanks!

OK, now we're talking!  Sounds like a pretty nice on-board system.  Three bands of EQ and a notch filter.  Should be able to get a pretty darn good sound with that.  I assume it takes a standard 1/4" guitar cable.

The minimal DI you will need would be a plain old no frills direct box like this one: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDI100 .  Plug your guitar cable in, and take XLR out to your church board.  You might ask if you your chruch has some DI boxes already, then you won't even need one.

Or if you want to add more EQ and flexibilty you can always get the PARA DI, which is probably the most widely used DI in the acoustic business, and has both 1/4 and XLR out.

Hope this helps, and let us know what you decide!

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

thanks for all the help!  :+1:

I agree with everything dbirch said!  I play my OMv03re in Church and use a simple, passive DI box into the Church board and it sounds great!  Lately I have also been using a Yamaha Magicstomp because I can use the additional controls to play around with my sound a bit but this is just icing on the cake.  Simple is good.