Yamaha FD01S

Started by love2play21, November 21, 2006, 12:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A few friends and I went in together to purchase another friend his first guitar.  We had a $200 hard line limit (college and high school students) so we dont have money.  Well I had the task of picking out the guitar and settled in to the guitar room at GC.  I played a few yamaha's and fenders since that was about all that they had in that price range, cept mitchells and whatnots.  My stipulations was a solid top, decent sound (not to tinney), and action with innotation in good shape.  I settled for the Yamaha FD01S, Solid Spruce, and NATO stained Mahog but all in all it sounds alright for a $100 guitar. Thats right $100 and it sounds great for what it costs. Now it doesent compare to my L-09 or Martin but ya know for a first guitar for a friend its perfect. Actually I believe this would make a great beater for $100 for what you get and all.  I went in almost sure the FG335 was what I was going to get him but actually this was 50 bucks cheaper and was not as tinney. Thanks for letting me share now back to my L-09!

It has been my experience that Yamaha builds good quality instruments at all price levels.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

FD eh.  I can always use another guitar.  I really like some of the made in Taiwan/Japan FS models now days.  Lack volume, but pretty good guitar.  You can put a set of used pickups (maybe mag + SBT) on it, maybe some stickers (non for me) it, beat up your neighbors with it (that I may consider :humour:), use it as a bong (you college students know all about that)... etc.   Once amplified with the right amp and equipment, it will sound just as good as a martin, and you don't need to buy a 500$ case for it.

By the time you outplay this guitar, you probably deserve a better guitar anyway.  Oh for crying out loud, a fretjob cost more than a yamaha hahaha.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

:ph34r:

I've got the equivilant to that,(i think they changed the numbers)

It is a nice guitar.  I polished mine, put on a tort pickguard, installed a bone saddle, rounded the braces and it sounds like a totally different guitar.  Like a nice guitar.  Try these mods.

Calvin, dont judge a book by its cover, yes I'm 22 and in college no I do not and have never done drugs infact it may suprise you that I work full time in ministry. And just because its a fairly cheap guitar doesen't mean you have to use sarcasm to insult it.   I gave an honest testamony to the guitar in hopes of maybe it helping someone in the market for a decent low end beginner's guitar.  I am fortunate enough to own a Larrivee and a Martin both of which cost more than a fretjob but not everyone can afford a nice guitar, sometimes all they can scrape together is $100 or so for a guitar.  And ya know I would take a $100 guitar anyday over no guitar at all.  Its about the passion of playing the music and what the experience of producing melodic sounds on a guitar that makes a guitar what it is. It has nothing to do with how expensive the guitar is or the name on the headstock, and it has nothing to do with how well someone can play. Its about playing nothing more nothing less its a art that everyone deserves the chance to partake in at any level on any price level of a guitar.  Please dont judge others from where you are, walk a mile in their shoes.

Stuco, thanks for the tip, the bone saddle is a must on any guitar.  I had already ordered one from a local luthier and will install it for my friend when it arrives. Thanks though its always great have reinforced suggestions on how to make slight modifications to better an individual instrument. 

any Yamaha owner had better get used to sarcasm...and worse `cause they frequently don`t get much respect though there seem to be quite a few happy Yamaha players on this site...myself included.

:ph34r:

I don't think calvin was making fun of yamaha guitars.  I just think he was trying to be funny.  Yamaha's kick arse.

Yamaha makes great guitars, and don't let anyone tell your differently.  Great review on a guitar at any price point.   I must also commend you on using actual english in your review.  You did not once mention overtones, rich, full bodied, or hints of currants in you review.  Bravo !!

$100 or $3000 , it's all about getting a guitar that sounds and plays good to you no matter what is on the headstock. 

My son has a Yamaha FGJR 3/4 size ( $75  and Nato parts as well ) and we have a great time playing together. Him on his Yamaha and me on my Baby Taylor. 

:thumbsup

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

I've edited my original message because I think it was a bit harsh, although true in everyway.  But it is not my place to tell you how you should see the world, so I've edited it.

Suffice to say I think you are taking things I've said in humor in the worst way possible; and also remeber that the world has better things to do than to be biggots against poor college students.  There were some seriously assumptions you made in your comment that where simply not true or even present, and you've portrayed me as a prejudice person against the poor.

PLEASE, WOULD THE WORLD TELL THIS MAN THAT I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC.  I honestly dont think what you said was acceptable because it insults my moral value as a fair and unprejudice person.  Please edit your reply.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon

there....right there....that ...."hahaha".....what was that eh? I think there`s one " ha" too many. please edit your sense of humor.

Moderator hat on.

I suggest that some of the posters to this thread take a deep breath and step back.

One of the problems with humour, is that frequently the recipient of the humour isn't amused and then a verbal battle begins, as happened here, where no one origonally started out to get tangled up.

Thanks for keeping this forum a civilized place.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

probably should have added one of these eh...   :nanadance

:cheers How dare you you mock me with these dancing bananas!!!! :humour: :cheers  (yes, sarcasm is present, but all in good fun).

Oh yes, I've been told after inquiring that I was slightly sarcastic.  So for that I apologize.  But please don't imply that I am a biggot to the poor.  The truth is, a yamaha does in fact cost less than a Fret job (a N American one anyway).  I really wasn't sure how this has gotten to become me dissing college students.  Again, I apologize if you felt like there is harm done, it wasn't my intention.  So please accept my apologies for not beign aware of my target audiences.  And I definitely apologize for the bong joke (I meant it as a beer bong, yes it's been done :beer), should have been more specific.  Perhaps some misunderstanding going on there, I can see how that's my fault.  8 years of university education should have taught me better.

:nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar  Sneaky, you know I love them yamahas.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon

Oh yeah, don't ask me how a guitar can be made into a beer bong, let me just say it's very possible, and actually very playable afterwards too. :arrow
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon

well...we used em as bongs too, only it wasn`t for beer.