Making bone saddle for my 03

Started by pickngrin, November 18, 2006, 10:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm thinking about making a bone saddle for my LV-03RE for when I remove the UST and play acoustically. I have bone blanks to make it from but I won't be able to have the factory compensation for the B string. I'm wondering if this will create an intonation problem or can I file a light compensation on the straight bone blank to get by.

Has anyone ever installed a saddle on a Larrivee without the factory compensation? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,  pickngrin
Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130

Every string should be compensated for proper intonation as part of a sadddle installation. The B string is just more noticably different in length then it's neighbors. If you never play past the third fret you won't notice a guitar's bad intonation as much. I'd suggest reading up on the subject before you start and shoot for doing it right. If you just plop a new one in there chances are that your guitar won't sound or play as well as it does now, assuming the existing saddle was installed correctly.

I had a local luthier install a bone saddle that was not compensated, and I had the same question.  While I can't quite understand it, I cannot detect any difference in terms of compensation, even when I play up the neck.  I'm not saying that it shouldn't matter, because logic suggests that taking out a compensated saddle and replacing it with a straight one will effect the guitar, but I can't say that I noticed any change.

Maybe I'm tone deaf...

jimmy

The B string can be compensated with the bone saddle. All that is required is that the B string leave the saddle at the back edge rather than the  forward edge of the saddle.  To do this, the forward edge of the saddle in front of the B string  is filed away leaving only the back portion of the saddle to support the string.  I'll try to get a photo and post it here so you can see what it looks like.

Here are a couple photos of the bone saddle on my Larrivee parlor.   J. Thomas Davis Guitars in Columbus Oh made the saddle.  You can see how the saddle is shaped so the B string leaves the saddle toward the rear while the G and E stirngs leave the saddle at the forward edge.

I only make non compensated bone saddle's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

here's a bone saddle  i made with a B comp notch.  all you need to do is keep the top of the sadddle unslanted where the comp notch needs to be then i use a dremel sanding disk to notch where the B string passes.  you can see the worn spot where the string had passed over
good luck :nana_guitar

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

:ph34r:

You can do fine without the compensated b string.  I've made several bone saddles and improved the intonation from factory saddles without compensation.

Quote from: stuco on November 20, 2006, 05:25:33 PM
:ph34r:

I've made several bone saddles and improved the intonation from factory saddles without compensation.

That is remarkable.