K&K Pure Western for OM-03 any advice?

Started by joxter, November 17, 2006, 01:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got the Mini, got some latex gloves, acetone?  Don't have that...  Looks simple enough.  Any advice from anyone who has installed one of these things?   :wave
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

I installed the pickup today.  Had a hard time trying to see what I was doing looking through the bridge holes with bi-focals.  And then when I put my hand in there I couldn't see at all.  Even had a hard time getting my arm into the sound hole.

What I did was put the latex glove on with the double stick tape on the finger, stuck the pickup in the tape.  Then I put bridge pins in the 3rd and 4th string holes and used them as guides for my finger.  I guestimated how far away to place the pickup from my finger tip so it would be in position under the bridge.  Then I repeated the procedure with the 1st and 2nd string pickup and the 5th and 6th.  It worked, the Mini is installed.
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

Congrats man that's awesome, how does it sound?

How does it sound?  Now there's a good question...  :?

I don't have an amp, heck I don't even have a guitar cord   :doh

Plus it hit me later that I didn't follow the intructions for the endpin jack.  I re-read them and I didn't.  I didn't screw the casing down tight to the nut inside the guitar.  And I screwed the strap button part on even with the threads.  I should have left a few threads showing to be sure the cord plugs in all the way.

One nice thing is I didn't have to drill out the end pin hole.  One negative is the guitar strap button is wide, the strap I usually use on this guitar was a real tight fit.  So tight it loosened up the strap button while I tried to put in on.  Then I put loc-tite on the threads and tightened it with pliers, now I have to take it off and adjust it....

I put the pickup in to use at open mics, maybe someday I will get an acoustic amp or a small pa.  I will have to wait until Tuesday and try it out at the open mic.
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

:ph34r:

I installed one a few weeks ago.  I'm sure your's will work fine.  You might want to try one of those very plain 2 piece adjustable leather straps, they fit the endpin jacks very well.  I'd go ahead and get the jack mounted propely so as not to cause damage to the guitar or the jack.

Quote from: stuco on November 20, 2006, 09:55:17 PM
You might want to try one of those very plain 2 piece adjustable leather straps, they fit the endpin jacks very well. 
Never heard of these.  Can you provide more info?  Brand name or a link?

Thanks!
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I have a Sully's strap, www.sullysstraps.com and it is fine.  Highly recommended too.  I was using it with my D03R, but now I use it with the OM.  The other strap I was using with the OM is a Levi's.

What a bonehead move I did by using lock-tite.  I can't get it off now to adjust it.  Don't use lock-tite,  It ain't budging, its staying where it is.

For the inside part I am hoping my daughter's arm will fit in the guitar to tighten the sleeve against the nut.  If not, maybe one of the kids at Christmas, or I will have to use a tool while looking in a mirror to get it.

I am pretty mad at myself for screwing this up.  The instructions that I read ahead of time but didn't read while doing the job, said to leave a tiny portion of the thread exposed or it will cut in and out.  I put the strap button part on even with the threads, I hope it works ok and I won't know until open mic or I could take it to a music store....
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

Joxter, take it to a music store and check it out before the open mic.   :winkin:\

Thanks for the link - I just might get me a Sully strap or two.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: dberch on November 21, 2006, 08:22:34 AM
Never heard of these.  Can you provide more info?  Brand name or a link?

Thanks!
David

Something like this, either suede or leather will work.  The fact that there is one layer of leather makes it easier to put on big strap jack endpins.  they will also not slide on you.  Simplicity works with straps.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-Suede-Guitar-Strap-with-Logo?sku=369701

Here's the update!  I went to the open mic and plugged in and it worked.  It sounded real good.  I am very happy.  Also I ordered a cord and got a 90 degree angle plug on one side and thought later: what was I thinking?  But it came yesterday and the angle end plugs all the way into the guitar jack.

for some reason my picture is not showing up???  it is here if you care to look:  http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4136895
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele