"Good" Voices That You Hate Regardless.

Started by ducktrapper, November 17, 2006, 11:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In keeping with the other thread. Other than the obvious like Celine Dion, who else? I'll start. People who can carry a tune but you wish they'd do it elsewhere.

Meatloaf
Mariah Carey
Graham Nash

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 17, 2006, 11:20:11 AM
In keeping with the other thread. Other than the obvious like Celine Dion, who else? I'll start. People who can carry a tune but you wish they'd do it elsewhere.

Meatloaf
Mariah Carey
Graham Nash

Josh Groban

Tony Rice  (not hate but it just doesn't do anything for me, I guess tone-wise??)  (Love his pickin')
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

Any female singer who's referred to as a "diva."  The way they wail up and down on notes sounds like they're being tortured.

Quote from: Walkerman on November 17, 2006, 02:13:53 PM
Any female singer who's referred to as a "diva."  The way they wail up and down on notes sounds like they're being tortured.

There are plenty of male singers that do the same thing and they are just as bd as the "divas".  Ex:  Anyone that is or was in N'Sync, 98°, Backstreet Boys...any of those crappy boy bands.

What? refusing to name names?

Stephen Tyler - definitely a "diva"
John Denver - pleasant enough but I HATE pleasant.
The guy with Uriah Heep
Charlie Pride - He does NOT sound like Hank!!!
Axel Rose - Although I love the irony of "Chinese Democracy". If it's on purpose, he's a genius.

Rufus Wainwright - nails on a blackboard
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Oh a big AMEN to that! 
Btw - Is it un-Canadian of us to dislike a McGaragiggle sion?

Quote from: Walkerman on November 17, 2006, 02:13:53 PM
Any female singer who's referred to as a "diva." 
yep.  if anyone is referred to as a "diva" i no longer take them seriously. 

imo, there areant really many good singers in pop music. just great bodies backed by pro tools. 

I hear shes a genius but I never like Joni Mitchells voice. I also feel the same way about Barbara Striesand. For males never cared for Robert Plants voice. Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

John Mayer...I don't even know if he's good or bad, can't understand a word he says.
Marbles in his mouth??  The new look (VW commercial) is grotesque, too.

:ph34r:

All the christina aguilara type vocalists who raise and lower their voice rapidly while singing a note(s).  I guess it's an R&B influence on singing that is very upsetting to me.

Ha! I'd say that John mayer has a bad voice, if anything. Its chalky and rough. But I like his music regardless.

Yeah, John Mayer does that "whisper in to the microphone" singing style. Jack Johnson does the same thing. I say, sound off like you got a pair or please stop "singing".

+1 for the douchebags that load up every note with so called 'vocal chops'. It's annoying.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Quote from: pigtown on November 19, 2006, 09:09:20 AM
John Mayer...I don't even know if he's good or bad, can't understand a word he says.
Marbles in his mouth??  The new look (VW commercial) is grotesque, too.

:+1:
Ruben

I am a proud Canadian, and I absolutely hate, deteste, loathe Celine Dion.  Sorry was that too harsh?  Her stuff are actually okay... ...for me to poop on!!!! :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Quote from: Calvin on November 29, 2006, 11:43:04 AM
I am a proud Canadian, and I absolutely hate, deteste, loathe Celine Dion.  Sorry was that too harsh?  Her stuff are actually okay... ...for me to poop on!!!! :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance

Yes, that WAS a little harsh... but sometimes harsh words are justifiable  :cheers

Celine Dion's voice is very true to pitch and she is widely recognized as being very musically talented.

...but it doesn't make her voice any less annoying to my ears  :arrow

:+1: for the dislike of celine dion bandwagon. Then again i guess Denis did say "other than the obvious" when he started the thread.

Aboss
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood

Hey Calvin, don't you dare talk bad about our Célyne! J/K :arrow

She sings very differently in french than in english. In english it sounds like she sings from the nose. :tongue: But in both languages, her tendency to show off what she's able to do is unbearable. She'd be so much better if she learned to refrain from the "voice theatrics". But then there's the repertoire. :rolleyes:

One voice I can't stand: Dave Matthews.
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

QuoteOne voice I can't stand: Dave Matthews.

:+1: He's got some nifty riffs, though.

Or that guy from Five for Fighting, he sings like Dave Matthews, except worse.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

yeah, the guy from 'five for fighting' sounds like farts from a good singer after eating greasy tacos.  truly terrible stuff.  i feel the same about dear ol' dave matthews.  plus, i dont relate to any of their music. sounds way too polished and packaged for they easy consumption of the college brat crowd. 

john mayer has some good chops, but his voice is mediocre, at best.  even though he can play, i just cant take him seriously. 

but...... IMO...... the most annoying singer alive today in popular music today is vince gill.  whoever signed him in the beginning should be banned from the music business.  he, like mayer, can play the hell out of a guitar, but please....someone hide the mics from him.  i'd rather listen to elephants mate and dogs vomit than hear this guy sing one note.

:arrow