Maudio Audio Buddy Vs. Behringer Ub802 Audio Test

Started by orsino, May 14, 2004, 12:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been using a Behringer UB802 mixer to record. Talk on the forums prompted me to try the MAudio Audio Buddy as well. Please give me your opinions/thoughts on the following clips using one of the interfaces for A and the other for B. Both boxes are around $80 each.

I used the same guitar and mic setup (2) for each clip. I adjusted the gain on each so that the VU meter output was as close to each other as possible.

Clip with guitar playing I reversed the mic cable inputs (L-R) by mistake between recordings.Don't let that throw you. The clip is divided in half.
Tell me if you like the sound/tone of A - first half of clip or B - second half.

Dead Air Clip This is just recording dead air using each with identical mic and VU output settings. My room is not overly quiet, but they were both recorded the same so it should be a fair test. You may need to put on your headphones for this one.
The clip is divided in half again. Tell me if you think there is more noise on A (first 10 seconds) or B (last 10 seconds).

Orsino,

I'll listen to the clips later and get back to you (gotta mow the yard!) but I can tell you I really like M-Audio stuff.  I use their Duo for recording at home and I think it has the same mic pre-amps.  Listen to "See You On Down The Road" on my CD.  Only thing is that also has the K&K pickup mixed in.  

Tell you what - I can mix down a mic-only version of that and send it to you if you want to hear it... probably next week some time...  Let me know if you'd wnat to hear it.

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

QuoteOrsino,

I'll listen to the clips later and get back to you (gotta mow the yard!) but I can tell you I really like M-Audio stuff.  I use their Duo for recording at home and I think it has the same mic pre-amps.  Listen to "See You On Down The Road" on my CD.  Only thing is that also has the K&K pickup mixed in.  

Tell you what - I can mix down a mic-only version of that and send it to you if you want to hear it... probably next week some time...  Let me know if you'd wnat to hear it.

David
That would be cool David!

The reversed connection is distracting.  But, if all things are equal clip B is far better.
A sounds as though the bass is shelved down.  The entire range has an edge to it.  Phase problem?
B has the bass response back but still has an edge in the highs.  The edge on the midrange is largely gone.

Orsino,

Input Test - B is better for me. Better stereo seperation with a slight bump in the 200~400 Hz area. The A signal may be suffering from some slight phase cancellation. Any change to the mic positioning?

Dead Air Test - In A, there is a dramatic difference, almost 5db, in noise between left (high) and right (low) levels. Are both inputs set at same level? In the B test the left side has a little bit , 3.5db,less noise.

Ron
Ron

Mic positions were the same. I find that my MXL 2001 has more noise than my MXL 603. Thus the switch in noise between the channels. I just ordered another MXL 603.

Here are the answers.......

A = MAudio
B = Behringer

on both clips

My opinion is that the MAudio has a little more noise, not much. But, I think that the MAudio sounds more like the guitar sounds to me playing in the room. I think the MAudio tone is more versatile as you can EQ or add effects to achieve the "warm" tone of the Behringer. But, you can't get rid of the inherent tone of the Behringer.
That said, as BOTH of them are under $100, why not have both to create different tones for each recording occasion?

Here are a couple more clips with raw recording using one MXL 603 at the 14th fret, 12 inches away, pointed at the soundhole.

Audio Buddy

Behringer UB802

Orsino,

I thought Guitar A sounded more natural.  Completey un-scientific, didn't analyze, just listend though PC speakars (Boston Acoustics with sub woofer).  B sounds slight muffled with a slight boominess in the mids and less bass.

What mic did you use?

Dead air:  I could not tell a difference.  But then, I've got tinitus!

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com