light to medium :0

Started by greenremedy, November 15, 2006, 09:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello! I replaced strings on my D03r from Light guage to medium dean markley, and oh my,, the tension on the strings were so intense! I used to play on medium long long time ago and I cant seem to recall having this much tension on the strings before. Also, after I replaced the strings with medium, I've noticed much higher action, i guess that means the neck is bent a little bit because of the immense tension. I relieved the tension on the strings and the guitar is in my case right now, my questions are, is it usual for the action to rise when you go from light strings to medium? and also, is the bent neck going to go back the way it was if I go back to light?

:<>

You don't mention what kind of guitar you have. Although Larrivees are built for light gauge strings, I know many have played with mediums without problems. Yes, you will have to re-setup your guitar for the higher tension. This usually means a truss rod adjustment. Try tuning down a half step and then capo at the first fret when you need standard tuning.

edit: sorry I didn't notice you mentioned the D03!  :arrow  As stated below, the D03 should have no problem with medium strings.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

The increased tension is almost certain to raise the action a bit. It may also take you a while to get used to the heavier string. It takes a little more to old down a chord, but the increased sound is worth the pain, at least IMHO.
Most likely you need a minor truss rod adjustment. If you adjust the neck and later go back to lights you will need to adjust the truss rod again. If you are having difficulty playing the mediums you might try a bluegrass set (med bass, light trebs) it is a nice transition.

If you tune the guitar down and capo up, not only will you confuse those playing with you, but it is my experience you give up sound and tone in the guitar.

Try sticking with the meds, I believe you will be happy with the results. I just put a set of lights I had from before I switched on a guitar and on the first strum, I thought what a wimpy sound.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

wow, this is one of my first posts and I am so glad someone cared to make a response, thank you!  :laughin:

I can still play the chords fine, but like you guys said, just takes a little more out of me is all.
I am quite new at this guitar things, so I am not familiar with all matters related to trauss, I guess I'll ask around.

thank you again!

Welcome to the forum GreenRemedy.  All L, D, and OM larrivees are built to handle mediums.  No worry there.  I would suggest playing it for a week or so and decide if you like the tone.  If you decide you like mediums, take it to any competent guitar teck and have them lower the actino to where you like it.  Mediums don't have to be harder to play!

The only draw back is, if you have the action lowred for mediums, and you switch back to lights, there's a chance the action will then be too low.  No big deal, you'll just have to get it set up again for lights.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com