Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epiphone DR 500R  (Read 1180 times)
alwz

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:31:09 AM »

Hi
I bought a Epiphone DR 500 R on a budget today. It's my first real nice guitar. All solid wood with rosewood back and side for $580. So I bought it. I was thinking of getting a Larrivee L03R, but I couldn't resist this deal. Ok, now here is about the guitar I got. I'm happy  with the comestic. The action is low and with no buzzing. And I like the bass response-not too bright, but not boomy either. I guess it's typical bass response of a rosewood guitar. I also think the sound of the guitar is balanced. Good midrange. Here is what I don't like. I think it's lacking in highs and sustain for highs. I took off the strings tonight and felt the inside of the top/soundboard, and it wasn't sanded properly!!! Pretty rough , actually. I even wondered if it was sanded at all. They talk about how important the soundboard/top is for the tone of the guitar, and the soundboard wan't sanded properly?? I was disappointed. I'm hoping to gain more highs by changing the strings and probably changing the saddle. Any advice?
alwz

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 03:32:20 AM »

By the way, I guess you get what you pay for. So I can't complain much about that.
Fstpicker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »

I'm not sure that the inside surface of the guitar's tops are ever sanded, or at least not fine sanded per say. Certainly, not on the budget models to my knowledge anyway. Even the braces can be rather rough at times, depending on the guitar, I've noticed on some. They have to cut corners some way, and this may be one way to save some money.

As long as it sounds good, and is structurally "sound", I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about it. However, when you get a chance, take a look at the inside of a Larrivee, and you will probably notice a difference in the workmanship.

Jeff

Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin
alwz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »

I'm not sure that the inside surface of the guitar's tops are ever sanded, or at least not fine sanded per say. Certainly, not on the budget models to my knowledge anyway. Even the braces can be rather rough at times, depending on the guitar, I've noticed on some. They have to cut corners some way, and this may be one way to save some money.

As long as it sounds good, and is structurally "sound", I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about it. However, when you get a chance, take a look at the inside of a Larrivee, and you will probably notice a difference in the workmanship.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your post. I guess so on the budget models. It's just that it's my first all solid wood guitar and I guess I expected more. I'm quite happy with the guitar actually. It looks structurally sound to me. I replaced the saddle with tusq and changed the strings. It brightened the tone. It sounds pretty good to me. I will upgrade to bone saddle some time. Now I want to learn fingerstyle although I normally strum. I guess the sound of the dreadnough body is just different from smaller body types. But for the sound of a dreadnough , I'm quite happy with the sound. I wanted Larrivee L03 R or OM 03 R , but my budget was limited, and I wanted to play first before I buy! Well, I think this is the beginning of my GAS.

alwz
Austiban

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »

Epiphones are pretty nice guitars for the money, even the cheapest models.  Everyone I've played has had great action.  But a Larrivee is definately in a different class.  The more the merrier.

Larrivee D-60
Alvarez Yairi CY-116
Apollo '60's strat copy
Oscar Schimdt Uke

ace1979

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 11:26:53 AM »

I could be mistaken, but if you are referring to the Epiphone DR-500R Masterbilt guitar, then I am pretty sure those already come stock with bone saddle....nice, guitar, I had considered one in my recent search, until I found my Larrivee D03WL....but the masterbilt series are very very cool guitars, and most of the ones I have played sound great!  Enjoy your new friend

Larrivee D03WL
Alvarez AF60S
Arbor AJ137
Lahaina Ukulele
Carvin AG100D
Roland Blues Cube
alwz

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:32:55 PM »

Hi ace,

Yes, it is DR 500R Masterbuilt. It is said that they no longer use bone saddle although they still use bone nut. I'm not sure. I took the saddle to a guitar shop and the guy there told me it was plastic. It doesn't look like plastic to me though. I'm really new to nice guitars. So I'm still amazed by the sound of this guitar. I can't quite get my hands off it. Thanks.

alwz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: