Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Electric) Baritone Guitars  (Read 1954 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:38:38 PM »

I've been GASing for a baritone and since the Larrivée BT60 is way out of my price range for a specialty instrument, I have been looking at electric baritones. Particularly the Yamaha AES520D6 or Drop 6. Price is nice. Scale is a little shorter @ 26.25" than other more expensive ones like the Mike Mushak Ibanez and of course the Fender/Gibson/Gretsch ones which tend to have scale lengths of 27" - 28". While I'd love the $2,200.00 Gretsch, the drop 6 is more in my price range and I've always liked Yammies. Will the slightly shorter scale make a big difference? Anyone with experience in this area? Tips? Random thoughts?
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 03:53:07 AM »

random thought.................................Danelectro.....................................................................................done with random thought

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Peter Cree
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:15:26 PM »

Shorter scale is limiting.  The longer the scale the more tension is preserved at lower tunings.  The scale described is good to tune down to D with, but to go to B or A will get buzzy.

Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 05:24:19 PM »

Check out the Jerry Jones baritone if you can.  He makes great instruments, modelled on the old Dan-os but higher-end.  Price range is probably between $1000-$1500, something like that. 

I like all the new Dan-o instruments, but if I had the choice, I'd go with the Jerry Jones equivalent instead.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 06:02:32 PM »

Well if I was going to spend that much in order to try out a bartione, I'd just go ahead and order a Gretsch or even the Larrivée BT60. The problem is ... there isn't a baritone in this town to try, as far as I can tell. Anyway, while I thank you for the recommendations, can anyone tell me why they would be better than the Yammie? I mean, actually I'm familiar with and trust Yamaha. It's not about the money though, if I like the concept, I can go up in quality and/or sell the Drop 6. Or maybe it will do nicely. A lttle over $600.00 is not much for me to spend to explore the genre. 
I guess no one has seen or played one. In theory then, what difference/difficulties etc. will experienced with the in between scale length?  26.25" vs 27-28"? The Yamaha scale is only 3/4 of an inch longer than my strat.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 09:44:57 PM »

One of the best deals out there is for an OLP Music Man copy of their 6 string baritone/bass. Should be around $250 or less and you have the option of stringing it as a baritone (A-A) or as a bass (E-E). It has a little longer scale, I believe.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5