03 series tuners

Started by rbpicker, November 06, 2006, 08:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently bought a L03 R... nice guitar, good quality... but the tuners are terrible.  They won't hold pitch for more than an hour or so... evertime I pick it up, I need to retune, and during playing, it goes out often.  Is this normal for the 03's ? 

I have owned and played acoustic guitars for 40 years, and don't expect this kind of issue with a guitar this nice.  My Martins seem to have the same tuners (Ping, I believe) and they don't give me any problems.

Any advice?  I really don't feel like I should have to spend more money to upgrade the tuners just to keep this in tune.

RB

i hear ya..i have to re-tune every night.

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

Must be the luck of the draw (or lack thereof).  My D03 stays in tune forever (almost!).  Have you checked to see if the nuts are tight? 

I have not had good luck with the Larrivee tuners.

I have one sugestion...Gotoh 510's. Very nice and are a drop in.   :thumbsup
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

shame on larrivee for using ABSOLUTE JUNK for tuners.  had the same problem.  almost soured me to larrivee altogether.  just bite the bullet and get some gotohs.  they'll drop right in and your tuning issues will be gone. 

Yes, the Pings are lousy, they are the only bad thing I can say about the Larrivee line of guitars.  I have an older Larrivee from 1998, which has Schallers, they are excellent.  The Pings may look like Schallers, but they don't come even close to Schaller performance.  Every Larrivee I've had with Pings got replaced with Gotohs, which are a big improvement. 

Click Here for the Gotoh tuners you need

D-02E

My guitar stays in tune really well, but the tuners do have alot of play.

What about mini tuners for parlors?  Are there mini Gotoh 510's that would drop in without having to make any mods?  And what about regular, less expensive Gotoh's, are they as good as the 510's?

Quote from: Denis on November 07, 2006, 12:02:49 PM
What about mini tuners for parlors?  Are there mini Gotoh 510's that would drop in without having to make any mods?  And what about regular, less expensive Gotoh's, are they as good as the 510's?

I never had real problems with the stock tuners on my L05. However, with all the talk about the Gotohs, I replaced my stock Pings with Gotoh 0903 which I purchased on eBay. I've been using them for about three months now and the difference is noticeable! Tuning is very smooth and very precise. The 0903's cost me about $20 - they were used but actually brand new. I sold the stock Larrivee Pings on eBay for $20. Go figure!

So I don't know if the 0903's are as good as the 510's, but these seem to do the trick for me. Smooth as silk!

Here is the discussion topic on my tuner change.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=12825.0
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

The same Ping tuners are used all up to high end Larrivee's.
I think it's a clear evidence of Larrivee's recent strategy:
They don't want to build great guitars. They are trying to build just 'enough' guitars as efficiently as possible to make money. Sad..

Taylors are far ahead in this regard, but for any reason their Ping tuners seem to work better.
Jiyang Kang (내가그린)

Larrivee L-03, Guild D-40, Taylor Big Baby, Tacoma CC-10 Nylon, Takamine CP-132SC Classical, PRS Hollowbody I
(Past) Goodall RCJC, Goodall AKCJ, Taylor 814CE, Leach Sierra, PRS Custom 22, Gibson Chet Atkins CEC, Fender Strat 1997 Collector's Edition

I don't quite get this. I've owned four Larrivees with Pings. All had a bit of gear lash which is common on most every lower priced tuner including the low end gotohs. The high end 510 and vintage gotohs are very nice tuners but I don't think they "hold" pitch better than a Ping. They are smoother to operate. By tuning up to pitch I've never had a guitar go flat because of a tuner slipping. Ever. I've seen tuners so bad that they could not work well enough to get a guitar in tune. The Pings are made better than that.  I'd like to know if there is a real difference between the OEM Pings on  Larrivee, Taylor, and Martin guitars.

I've never had problems with the Pings on an 03, and we've got three 03s in our house.  I really find all the complaints baffling (not to say I don't believe them, just that it's very puzzling).

I have more trouble with the tuners on my two higher-end slotheads.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Tycho on November 07, 2006, 04:40:22 PM
I've never had problems with the Pings on an 03, and we've got three 03s in our house.  I really find all the complaints baffling (not to say I don't believe them, just that it's very puzzling).

I have more trouble with the tuners on my two higher-end slotheads.

Every set of the Larrivee-branded Pings I've had (probably 6-8) have had issues.  I'll offer this praise..they look good :roll     But every set has had a least 1, sometime more, tuners that has major slop in the gears, where you turn the button, and nothing happens, you keep turning, and finally it starts to move.  Thats just not right.  Some say, oh, thats te nut.  Not so, as every time I change to Gotohs, those problems disappear immediately.  Face it, the Pings are less expensive for Larrivee to use, they save a few dollars on each guitar, but they are cheap, and some people notice.   I wish I didn't notice, but I'm picky. I can overlook finish flaws and other stuff, but when it comes to operation, and ease of tuning, I'm a stickler.  YMMV.
D-02E

Quote from: jiyang71 on November 07, 2006, 01:46:22 PM
I think it's a clear evidence of Larrivee's recent strategy:
They don't want to build great guitars. They are trying to build just 'enough' guitars as efficiently as possible to make money. Sad..
cant completely agree here.  i think they want to (and do) built great guitars, but for some reason they have settled on pings and the customer is the big loser here.  maybe they just havent heard enough negative feedack yet, but i hope they will change from pings soon.  i know they read this board. WAKE UP LARRIVEE...........STOP USING THIS JUNK FOR SUCH FINE GUITARS.  its like buying a suit from a custom tailor and then going to get your shoes at payless.  makes no sense to me....

:?

I don't know... i keep hearing all this horrible feedback for the ping tuners, but the stock ping tuners on my larry are awesome. I have no slop at all, they all work as they're supposed to, and my guitar stays in tune forever. In all honesty, i retune her once every few weeks, and even then it's usually barely off perfect... and i have really, really sensitive ears. (It's a curse  :UND>) I generally end up hitting the tuner on something and putting it out of tune long before it goes out itself!  :arrow

...maybe i just got a lucky batch.

Aboss
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood