Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought my first strap...  (Read 1703 times)
Gemnoc

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:15:14 AM »

I purchased a Levi's Boot Leather strap at my local music store. After looking at drathbun's picture of him with his L-05, I can say this is exactly the same strap as the padded Larrivée strap, minus the Larrivée logo. It's nice, I chose the reddish one that I think goes well with rosewood.

I never played with a strap before, or standing for that matter. It will need some getting used to.

For one thing, the end pin of my LV-03RE has a much larger diameter than the strap hole. I had to make the slit longer in the leather with a knife to make it fit. I don't know if enlarging the hole is a good idea. I wonder if this Strap Keeper (found the link in an old thread) would fit over my larger than life endpin. I'd feel much safer if I had a locking mechanism of some kind.

There's also the fact that I don't have a strap pin at the neck heel, and I'm reluctant to have one installed. For now I'll tie the shoelace to the peghead and see if I can get used to it. I wanted to buy the Planet Waves quick release clip but it was back order at the store.

I find that the peghead is farther away than when I sit "strapless". Would it be closer with a strap pin at the heel?

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)
sunburst

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 03:41:20 AM »

I have a planet waves quick release strap (if I can unearth it) that I can send to you. I bought it for a guitar I no longer have. They're pretty inexpensive, so I'd send it for you for the postage amount.

S. bigrin
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 05:08:19 PM »

Levy's not Levi"s.

I trim and cut a strap to make it fit if necessary. A good sharp ustility knife does the trick. I have one strap that I took to a shoemaker to have trimmed and finished and extra  hole made. I took it to the shoemaker because I wanted the holes to be properly reinforced with stitching.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 05:27:44 PM »

I used an exacto knife to enlarge the strap hole for the endpin jack on my L05. As long as you stay within the stitching, it won't come apart. As to keeping the strap from falling off, the guitar cable inserted will keep it on, but when you are playing without amplification, just use a standard phone plug that isn't wired.

I use a John Pearse volume control on my acoustic as I don't like to have to lean over to the amp... so it is always plugged in even when it isn't plugged in... if you get my drift!  bigrin I put a piece of velcro on the volume control with the soft side glued to the strap. I have glued the soft side of velcro to each of the straps for my three acoustics so I can move the JP volume control around. Works like a charm!

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
robv

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 11:29:07 PM »

That's interesting, I got a strap for my L05 about 2 months ago and had the buttons put on. I couldn't bear to puncture my guitar. Many of the straps I was trying I found too short and ended up buying a Taylor strap. I really like the strap but I'm afraid of the ribbing I'll get when my brother sees it (a proud 810 owner).
Cheers,
Rob

L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 12:22:58 AM »

Levy's not Levi"s.
Oops, my mistake

I trim and cut a strap to make it fit if necessary. A good sharp ustility knife does the trick. I have one strap that I took to a shoemaker to have trimmed and finished and extra  hole made. I took it to the shoemaker because I wanted the holes to be properly reinforced with stitching.
I thought of enlarging the hole, but there's not much space between the existing hole and the stiching. I hadn't thought of bringing it to a shoemaker, good idea.

Drathbun: I do have a 1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter lying around, it has a shoulder but not wide enough, maybe adding a washer of some kind to sandwich the strap in would do the trick.

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 12:23:43 AM »

I have a planet waves quick release strap (if I can unearth it) that I can send to you. I bought it for a guitar I no longer have. They're pretty inexpensive, so I'd send it for you for the postage amount.

S. bigrin
PM sent

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
sunburst

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 12:28:05 AM »

PM sent. Send me your address and it will be on its merry way.
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 12:40:32 AM »

Oops, my mistake
I thought of enlarging the hole, but there's not much space between the existing hole and the stiching. I hadn't thought of bringing it to a shoemaker, good idea.

Drathbun: I do have a 1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter lying around, it has a shoulder but not wide enough, maybe adding a washer of some kind to sandwich the strap in would do the trick.

Sounds like a plan!

If you are industrious, you could take that 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and make a straplock out of it. With the right washer, a machine screw and the adapter, you could fasten them together permanently. Then just insert the plug/washer/screw combination through the strap hole and into the guitar jack.

2014 Taylor 814ce

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 05:38:14 AM »

i just got the same levy's boot leather strap to compliment my larrivee strap.  i had the larrivee strap on my goodall parlor but that just didn't sit well with me so i got the boot leather strap for the goodall and put the larrivee strap on my larrivee parlor.  the two are almost identical but the levy is wider,  both are light weight and top quality.  larrivee did very well in having levy's make their straps.

i found it helps to wear the strap even when sitting since it makes it easier to play the guitar because it's being supported by the strap so your much more free move both arms, hands and fingers.

i use some sort of object like a butter knife handle to push through the strap hole and massage it to stretch and loosen up the leather, then it's a bit easier to get it onto the strap button without resorting to cutting.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 06:30:22 AM »

I agree about wearing the strap while sitting. I'm usually sitting in front of my computer while playing/recording anyway, and it allows both hands free.

2014 Taylor 814ce

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print