Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: should i.....  (Read 728 times)
joopie

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:02:25 AM »

lower the saddle on my martin? seems kinda high- i think the nut is good as is... should i just sand the bottom a little and slap it back in- or... i'm good w/ my hands- but in the past i have let the shop work on my guitars only because i love em' so damn much (the guitars that is  )- but can i do this and relieve some string tension?
thanks,
 afro, J.

OM-18V
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 04:15:18 AM »

you could, its not that hard. You have to make sure the bottom is perfectly flat, though. Also beware it's possible to make the bottom slanted, you might end up lowering the bass side more than the treble for example. I think frets.com has instruction on how to do this. I do my own saddle work these days. I've fitted about 5 saddles now.

aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 03:47:10 PM »

Yeah, lower it yourself. If you want to be safe, buy an extra saddle and mess with that one, in case you botch it (which is hard to do unless you're not paying attention at all to what your're doing). I watched a tech friend of mine take down my saddle on my 12er and he put it in a vice with a few MM's showing, and cut it with a coping saw, then finished it on a sanding block. Looked a lot easier than filing for an hour. One thing to watch out for when filing or sanding is creating a crown. That's where a vice would help. You need to keep the saddle totally flat when you sand it.

Good luck.

Aaron

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.
joopie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 08:11:30 PM »

thanks guys, i think i'll give it a go w/ some 150 grit this weekend...

afro, J.

OM-18V
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: