Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P-05 vs. P-09  (Read 1156 times)
WIZARDMI

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2006, 12:24:19 AM »

I've said before that I bought a P-05 a few months back and I'm happy. Further, that I'm entertaining ideas of how to improve the volume, tone, action, etc. Now I see Elderly's is offering the P-09 in a few weeks. This one offers the select rosewood, as opposed to the mahogany I have.

Is it worth considering a trade-in on the 05 and step up to the rosewood? True, it would be a limited edition axe and probably retain better value in the long run. But would I notice a significant difference in sound volume and tone? I'm figuring it would cost me anywhere from $800-$1K to make it happen.

Thanks to all who offer an opinion. You all are the best!

Chuck S. Mi.
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:15:59 AM »

Wizard,

You will certainly notice a significant difference in tone between the -05 and -09...but don't neccessarily assume that that a higher model number, or price tag, is going to automatically sound better.  The tone difference between mohagany and rosewood is a frequent point of discussion here on the forum...if you do a search I'm sure you will find many threads that apply.  I for one prefer the tone of mahogany...I play mostly fingerstyle blues and mahogany supplies the dry...woody tone that I prefer.  Rosewood seems to be more crisp and rich with overtones...its cleaner...without as much funk...to me its almost sterile.  Now don't get me wrong RW sounds great...some day I will have a RW parlor in my collection...its all a matter of preference.  If you can get some where to try out the different wood types...that is obviously the best way to make this decision...

Enjoy the hunt

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:38:42 PM »

I've said before that I bought a P-05 a few months back and I'm happy. Further, that I'm entertaining ideas of how to improve the volume, tone, action, etc. Now I see Elderly's is offering the P-09 in a few weeks. This one offers the select rosewood, as opposed to the mahogany I have.

Is it worth considering a trade-in on the 05 and step up to the rosewood? True, it would be a limited edition axe and probably retain better value in the long run. But would I notice a significant difference in sound volume and tone? I'm figuring it would cost me anywhere from $800-$1K to make it happen.

Thanks to all who offer an opinion. You all are the best!

Sorry to have to be so blunt but....one of each WIZARDMI...you'r gonna need one of each.    IMO, you can never have too many parlor guitars. 

joopie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:41:12 PM »

"Sorry to have to be so blunt but....one of each WIZARDMI...you'r gonna need one of each.    IMO, you can never have too many parlor guitars. "

+1 sounds right to me....

, J.

OM-18V
WIZARDMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 01:08:58 AM »

I like the way you people think!!! +1

Chuck S. Mi.
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 01:57:55 AM »

ya'll are evil...... ....but is true...if it was up to me my parlor quiver would include an MT a RW and am Really intrigued by the idea of a maple version of these little cuties....oh yeah then there are the special editions that are just hitting the scene....its just enough to drive a guy batty...........

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
WIZARDMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 12:53:11 PM »

My original intent was to get one of those fancy maples. But when I test drove either, they didn't sound or feel right to me. That's why I switched over to the mahogany one.

Chuck S. Mi.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 01:00:53 PM »

My original intent was to get one of those fancy maples. But when I test drove either, they didn't sound or feel right to me. That's why I switched over to the mahogany one.

I played a satin maple parlor about a year or 2 back and was not blown away.  It's entirely possible that it was strung up with light gauge strings which are fine but if you really want to "hear" you parlor, put on a set of medium gauge strings.  Makes all the difference in the world.  Way more sustain, volume and punch with mediums.  And because it's a short scale, it's easier to play mediums on a parlor than lights on a full scale guitar. 

magnummic

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 12:22:58 PM »

I have to agree in that you don't want ot get rid of the p05. The hog really has a wonderful sound and I actually prefer it to my rosewoods, even my braz. you should however, look into getting a rosewood to keep it company. One of the satin finish ones could be purchased for around what you were saying the trade-in deal would cost.

Larrivee O-01MH 2000
Larrivee P-09 EIR 2006
Larrivee P-09 BZ 2006
Martin Backpacker 2003
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: