Old Yamahas

Started by Fredmando, November 01, 2006, 08:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey, I remember Denis talking about a Yamaha FG guitar. I played a nice older Yamaha FG 365--S the other day that really had a Martin like sound.
It has a beige sticker and I am not sure how to date it, but I am guessing it is from the 1980's. I understand that these "S" models have a solid top and a laminated body.
It plays very well and really impressed me for an older guitar.
I tell you, these Yamaha and Alvarez guitars always suck me in! :nanadance
Any info?
Thanks,
Fred

Yes, the older Yamahas have a good rep, and sound good for the $.  If you can find one for $100-200, depending on model, you're doing OK.  I haven't played one since the 70's, but I'd like to get one for a beater guitar. 

From what I understand, the best ones have the orange/red label, with Nippon Gakki printed at the bottom of the label. There are some with orange labels that do not say Nippon Gakki, those are less desirable, the Nippon Gakki models bring the highest prices.  These are late 60's-early 70's.  After that time, production shifted to Taiwan with beige and other labels, and some say they didn't sound the same.  Nippon Gakki orange labels included Dread models FG-300 (fancy Gibson style pickguard) FG-180, also FG-140 ad FG-160, I believe.  Mid size (grand concert-ish) models were FG-150 and FG-110.  Smaller still was the FG-75.   The 300. 180 and 150 all had open back chrome tuners.  The less expensive 160, 140, 110 and 75 have cheaper plastic button tuners.   Another way to spot the best early ones is the Yamaha name on the headstock, once they shifted production offshore, the headstock has the Yamaha tuning forks logo, instead of the Yamaha name.  One guy here, Sneaky, knows alot about Yamahas, collects the early Yamaha/Dynamic classicals,and has the book about early Yamaha guitars. Maybe he'll chime in here and offer his opinion.
D-02E

Wow, thanks John. It is always interesting to learn new stuff. This guitar has the name on the headstock. I have seen some of the orange labels in other stores, however.
Thanks!

Fred,

It's the Red Label Yamahas that seem to get all the attention but any of them are great, solid guitars that you can get, usually, for a song.  My FG-325 cost me around $100CDN including shipping, exchange and taxes.  It needed a little work but it was something I could do myself.  Makes it more fun too when you fix it and set it up yourself. 

Yo Denis!!!
The 325 has the mahogany body, right?

Quote from: Fredmando on November 02, 2006, 09:06:28 AM
Yo Denis!!!
The 325 has the mahogany body, right?

Or nato...whatever that is...the body is sort of like the FG-75 which I think is sort of a copy of the Gibson LG body

Some very good guitars.  Sometimes they can really be good when you set them up right etc.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Got my '68  Red Label FG150 on eBay for $85 US. I'd like to say she's a beauty... but "beauty" is pushing it. It has certainly been played and needs a neck reset... but it is a great little guitar!

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

We'll call it a "classic beauty".
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

looks the way a good guitar should.  all this polishing and primping of instruments....i  just dont get it.  i like em beat up and well-worn.  i might look into getting one of those old yamahas if they're that good of a value.  thanks for the heads up.

This is all good info. Nice looking guitar. The one I saw was in pretty fair condition, but plenty of Mojo!! :nanadance

are the old yamahas soild wood guitar or laminate or did they make both?
koji

I don't know about the labels but, I used to own a FG 340 that every now and then I could kick myself silly for selling it! great sound for laminated top.
Ruben

from what I can glean in my books...they`re all in Japanese eh...the first two FGs to be produced in Japan, 1966[?] were the 150 and 180...the 150 having the smaller body. Can`t find any listings for a 365 though...did see the 360, first released in 1972, so the extra 5000 yen may just be a price increase a few years after that...or could be the extra 5000 yen got you a solid top. Those first two `66 models have the light green label.
About the headstock logo... their FG-1500 & FG-2000 models...top of the line solid Brazilian models have the tuning fork logo and I doubt they were made anywhere but Japan. The red labels do get mosty of the attention but the light green labels are fetching more over here recently. The ones made elsewhere are easily I.D.d...says so on the label. I`ve seen black labels too. Most of mine are from the Dynamic series...and I`ve written about those a lot here so I don`t wanna risk boring youse again...but, those were early to mid 60s and the FGs overlapped them for a time, and before the FGs came the laminated S series that Yamaha developed due to some tops of the Dynamics splitting...not all but some, couple of mine have cracks but most don`t. The S series didn`t have truss rods...nor do the Dynamics which have HUGE necks... and I believe thats where the FGs differ...Yamaha finally put truss rods into their guitar necks.
Recently got an FG-170 for less than $50.oo and couldn`t be happier...OK, a blt more bass would be nice but that may be because of the extra lite strings...it`s a light green label and was released in 1972 so I don`t subscribe to the red labels being the best... comes down to personal taste... and each guitar needs to be judged on it`s own.

Which FG models have the red label? IOW, what should I look for to find a red label model?

thanks,    pickngrin
Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130

the Red label should read FG_____, Yamaha Guitar plus the magic words Nippon gakki. 

over the yrars they produced a ton of red label models, just look in the soundhole. Nippon Gakki = Japan Instrument, lots of makers use the word gakki...just means instrument.

I have two older Yamahas....bought an FG-200 (beige label, made in Taiwan) for $150-175 in 1974 and an FG-312II 12-string used in 1984. Still play the FG-200 quite a bit. It's a great beater guitar and travels well.
LV-10 45th anniversary
LV-10 Tambourine Lady
OM-10BZ
D-10
OO-03MH
13th Fret Limited Edition Koa Parlour
B-02 bass

D-02 (my baby's 16th birthday present-and now he's 27!)

other assorted: Yamaha, Epiphone dot, Johnson resonator, La Patrie classical

The new ones are produced with red labels also.  But you can tell right away that it's a newer one.

Good sounds from them.  Although the newer ones from Taiwan and Japan seems to be better made than ones from China so far (YES!!! READ THE FINE PRINT ON WHERE IT'S MADE).  The China made ones sounds very open but a bit thin.  The Taiwan made ones seems to have a very sophisticated sound.  The old ones are great, but recently, they have gone up in price almost 2-3 times (especially teh FG150's, OM).  For this kind of money, I rather play a used Larrivee.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon