Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic pickup + Para DI + OM-03  (Read 1072 times)
gabegabegabe

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:29:12 PM »

Anyone have any experience with the iBeam or some other UST combined with the Para-DI on a OM-03?

I bought my active iBeam a couple of years ago.. but just couldnt get it to sound right (I was playing a Martin DM back then.. it was really boomy and was causing some heavy feedback).  I kinda gave up on the iBeam because of this... but now that I have a nice, balanced Larrivee OM-03, I'm kind of wondering how this combo would fair.

OR, would the element (or some other UST) be a better choice (taking into account large venue/high volume feedback)?

Thanks so much for your help,
Gabe

PS, anyone know where I can get some more of that double sided sticky tape for the iBeam, battery bagg, and little volume control?
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:45:37 PM »

Your iBeam should sound great in an OM-03.  I have a buddy who has one in a Martin D-18V and it sounds wonderful most of the time.  But sometimes it is unusable due to feedback.   

My suggestion would be to get a K&K Pure Western Mini.  Awesome pickups.  Extremely natrual, resists feedback, and lets your guitar sound like your guitar.  Works very well with the Baggs PADI. 

They recommend installing with superglue.  If that scares you, use the supplied 'temporary' tape.  I had one in 'temporarily' for three years before I decided to go permanent.

Don't just take my word for it.  Go to Harmony Central and other places and read reviews.  K&K consistently gets rave reviews and the lowest percent of negative reviews.

Also see Doug Young's pickup comparison page.
http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

PM me for a sound sample of one of my K&K equipped guitars recorded direct to my computer.

Acoustic Guitar Magazine did a pickup comparison a couple year back and said this of the K&K: "The only pickup that did not benefit by adding a mic" -  Translation: It doesn't NEED a mic.   It sounds great without one!

Cheers,
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
gabegabegabe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:52:54 AM »

Thanks so much David!  That site is a great resource.

I saw a link to your recording of "The Fisherman" (which was awesome, by the way) and was very impressed by how true it sounded.

Does the pure western amplify a lot of body sounds with this pickup?  (I tend to move around a lot while I play.)

I play and sing solo, so no need to play over a band.. how much feedback can I expect at medium-high volume venues?  Would a "feedback buster" help?

Thanks so much,
Gabe
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:06:31 PM »

Gabe,

One of the things I like most about the K&K is that it does NOT overemphasize things like body noice, string squeaks, etc.  Some folks rely on that aspect of their pickups to great benefit with undersaddle UST and internal mic combos. But I preferthe natural sound of the K&K.  My experience has been, if you slap the body (which I don't do very often)  the K&K will pick that up, but in correct proportion to the rest of the guitar's sound.  Your mileage may vary.  If you want to "play the body" you can always add an internal mic with the Trinity upgrade.

I've never been sold on sound hole feedback busters.  Especially with a K&K.  I've tried one a couple times and I thought it made the guitar sound tinny.  Makes sense to me.  K&K picks up top vibrations and a sound hole plug can't help but inhibit them.

I prefer to use a phase reversal switch, which you have on your PADI, which should take care of low-register feedback (around 5th string "A" to 6th string "G").  I've never had any other kind of feedback with my K&K's.  If you get persistent low-register feedback, I'd suggest you try the Baggs Feedback Master, which is a cigarette pack sized box with two notch filters.  You could velcro it to the top of your amp or PA head and use it only when necessary.

Cheers!
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
joxter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »

I was going to ask about putting the Pure Western mini (its being shipped right now from Harmony) in my OM-03.  This guitar sounds great with just a mic so I was hoping it would still sound good with the pickup.  I also have a D-03R I could put it in but I thought the hog OM would sound better because of the balance.

Thanks for the info!

Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: