Need set up and "other"advice

Started by C-10-4-me, October 26, 2006, 06:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,

I have decided to take my C-10 in for the set up it never received when I bought it in 1996. Since it has the sharp fret edges I want to take care of that as well. I'm also hearing a bit of an intonation issue.One last thing is I want to install some sort of pickup system in this baby.
Now, I have learned that not all "Authorized Dealers" do work like this, so who does this work in the Ohio area?
I want to deliver and pick this guitar up personally so no shipping will be involved.
Any suggestions? Is there a secret list of good tech's someone could pass along?
Thanks,
Ron
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

in my experience, finding a tech is not that hard. most music stores have one, or they can at least recommend someone. as far as a pickup system, read some threads in the pickups & live sound section. if you want my opinion, a blender system of some type is the best option. as for installation, any tech can do it. for that matter, you can do it if you have the tools.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Ron,  Since you're in Ohio. I'm going to recommend J.Thomas Davis in Columbus. This is THE place to have your guitar worked on. It's not the back room at GC or Samash.  It's worlds above anything like that.  Here's a link  http://www.jthomasdavis.com/home.html

Be sure to check out "workshops" and "acoustic pickups"  I think you'll find what you're after. My new Taylor is there right now getting a bone saddle and complete set up. My Larrivees were serviced there and the results were amazing.

Mark

Just a comment or two since you're looking for advice. . . .

Quote. . . .I want to install some sort of pickup system in this baby.

All techs are not created equal.  This is especially true of their experiences with installing acoustic pickups.  Ask them what experience they've had before you trust them to install a pickup in your new guitar.  For example, LR Baggs Ibeams are great pickups (IMix is the best, imho). . .BUT. . .not just everyone can install them correctly and it's best not to try it yourself if you've never done an installation.  K&K are good pickups too but again, installation is best left to techs that have experience.  If you're not handy with this kinda' stuff (like me) doing it yourself is an expensive crapshoot.

Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Quote from: Larrivee4me on October 28, 2006, 08:53:17 PM
Ron,  Since you're in Ohio. I'm going to recommend J.Thomas Davis in Columbus. This is THE place to have your guitar worked on. It's not the back room at GC or Samash.  It's worlds above anything like that.  Here's a link  http://www.jthomasdavis.com/home.html

Be sure to check out "workshops" and "acoustic pickups"  I think you'll find what you're after. My new Taylor is there right now getting a bone saddle and complete set up. My Larrivees were serviced there and the results were amazing.

Mark
Thanks for the link Mark. I sent them an email so hopefully they will respond and I can make the trek over there soon.
Ron
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

That's great! I'm sure Steve will contact you. I pick mine up Tuesday.  Let me know how yours turns out.  :thumb