Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tube Amps...  (Read 3103 times)
slim

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2004, 03:22:36 PM »

I know this is an acoustic forum but you all know so much and are incredibly helpful so...  

I have recently been playing the blues on my electric guitar.  I have a Sheraton II (semi-hollow body w/ Seymour Duncan '59s) and a Vox Pathfinder 15R, which is nice for clean tones, but I want to get a tube amp for that "tone".  

I intend to use it for practice, jammin' with the guys and possibly a small venue in the way distant future.  That said, I rarely turn my volume up to 6, my ears aren't what they used to be.  So the question is what size amp should I get?  I was thinking about an older Fender Champ, Princeton Reverb or Reverend Hellhound 40/60.  If you get something as big as the Hellhound would I have to really crank it to get that creamy sound?  

Thanks for any help.    :huh:  
trivial

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 04:11:05 PM »

A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend.  I went with a Dr. Z Maz Jr. Head (with no reverb) and a Dr. Z 2x10 Cabinet.  The Maz Jr. is 18 watts and has a very effective Master Volume... so you can get a pretty broad variety of tones out of it (works well with single coils and humbuckers).  I went with a Head/Cab configuration for versitility... I plan on getting a 1x12 cab in the future for a little different sound.

On a smaller budget I would have gone with an old champ (if I could find a good one), a stereo Fender Pro Jr. rig (2 of 'em B)), or a Fender Blues Jr..  Time to head to a couple stores and try out as much as you can.

-Matt  
slim

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 04:22:58 PM »

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info, I was looking at spending no more than    $600 (I hope my wife doesn't see this!) and hopefully a lot less.

Cheers!  
D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 05:19:11 PM »

Try putting an add in the buy and sell? You may be able to snag a vintage Fender or Gibson amp for not much cash at all. I got a very old Gibson amp for $12.
and it is all you need. really!! It works like a charm.
any way just my 2¢

Dave

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
slim

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 05:25:16 PM »

Great idea!  What model Gibson did you get?

Thanks.
D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 05:44:20 PM »

Its old. from the 50's someone painted it yellow.
It has a metal grill. I never looked for a model number. I'll check when I get home and let you know.
It has a great sound. you can drive it or play it soft.
I bet there are a few more stuffed in atticts or in garage sales. I always scan the junk at a garage sale during a slow drive by....looking for old amps or guitars

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
trivial

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »

I would look at the Fender Blues Jr's.  They are in your price range... and you will even have some $$ to spare.  I wouldn't go any "bigger" than this in the Fender camp... the HotRod Deluxe is way to loud for what you want to use it for.

As always, buy used and play for free.

-Matt
Zach
Admin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 10:25:18 PM »

Most any tube amp, regardless of wattage, is going to be loud when cranked.  I've had a couple of Champs before, and they're pretty loud when they start sounding good.  

I would look into the Peavey Classics.  Great, great amps, and usually pretty cheap used.  The Blues Jr. isn't bad, but I like the Peaveys better.  If you want to spend the extra money, its hard to beat an old Princeton or Deluxe Reverb though.

Zach
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 12:59:53 AM »

Try putting an add in the buy and sell? You may be able to snag a vintage Fender or Gibson amp for not much cash at all. I got a very old Gibson amp for $12.
and it is all you need. really!! It works like a charm.
any way just my 2¢

Dave
I'll give you $24.00 for that amp, cash money right now! :lol:  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 01:03:31 AM »

I use a tube screamer with my 40 watt Vibrolux.  I can do living room quiet to small club loud with no problems as all!

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 01:29:26 AM »

I would look for a Fender Deluxe Reverb II or Princeton Reverb II. These were the last of the point to point Fenders and were very nice amps and are still quite reasonable in price. These were designed by Paul Rivera when he worked for Fender. Here is one on Ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Another option is an early '60s Gibson Falcon. This is basically Gibson's version of a Fender Princeton Reverb. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Find someone to check them out. They may need to have the caps replaced, particularly the Gibson.

The Silverfaced Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb may be available for around $600. The Princeton, with some minor and reversible rewiring can be nearly as powerful as the Deluxe. The non-reverb models of each can be quite reasonable. Combine them with a reverb pedal and you have most (but not all) of the Deluxe and/or Princeton Reverb. You could probably find blackfaces within your budget if you are careful.

Another really good little amp you ought to look at are the Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30. The Delta Blues has Tremelo and either 2-10" or 1-15", the Classic 30 has 1-12".

Good luck. These are all very sweet little amps.

Don

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
slim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 02:07:54 PM »

Thank you all for this information.  I think the fun part is about to start!  

:D  
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 02:18:16 PM »

The THD Univalve is a 15 Watt Class A amp that will melt the paint off the walls!
But it also has a built-in Hot Plate attenuator, so you can get that same tone without the neighbors hating you.
And yes, I am a THD dealer. (Largest in the Country! :D )

D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 03:54:20 PM »

Slim, I couldn't find a model number but it is called a Gibsonette. I suspect it was put for the old style steel slide guitars that were popular in the 50's and 60's.

Dave

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
trivial

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 03:56:13 PM »

I can't believe that I forgot about the THD univalve... you should definitely put that on your list of things to check out!

-Matt
slim

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2004, 04:43:33 PM »

My wife has been incredibly encouraging to me in my struggle to learn the guitar.  She is even tolerant of my spending habits on the matter, up to a point.   <_<

I figure I can get away with one major purchase a year. Three months ago she gave me the green light to buy my Koa parlor.  So unless I want to sleep with the dog, I will have to pass on the THD and cabinet.  
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 05:08:46 PM »

Is the dog cuddly? :lol:  

slim

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2004, 05:15:41 PM »

Good point!    :lol:  
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2004, 04:30:17 AM »

The THD Univalve is a 15 Watt Class A amp that will melt the paint off the walls!
But it also has a built-in Hot Plate attenuator, so you can get that same tone without the neighbors hating you.
And yes, I am a THD dealer. (Largest in the Country! :D )
Love a good Class A amp, my 35 watt Clubman is the LOUDEST amp I've ever owned with tone for days. :P  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2004, 01:57:38 PM »

I'll give you $24.00 for that amp, cash money right now! :lol:
Hangfire,

You're never gonna amount to nothin', throwin your money around like that :lol:  

Ron

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: