Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guitar - Cfox  (Read 4284 times)
Zach
Admin

« on: September 17, 2003, 06:46:37 PM »

As some of you may know, I recently sold my OM-10 in search of something a little different.  A few weeks ago I picked up a C. Fox DX, which is a rosewood/sitka dread.  Charles founded the American School of Lutherie, but is no longer building.

I had never played a CFox guitar before, so I was taking somewhat of a chance on it.  First off, the guitar is beautiful.  Build quality is top notch.  It's a very solid guitar unlike some of the lighter built guitars that are made now.  

Soundwise, it's a little bit different than I expected.  The limited reviews I could find compared it to an older D-28.  Especially this one http://www.indoorstorm.com/reviews/cfox.htm

To me its a little more balanced and less bass heavy than most D-28s I've played.  Maybe it just hasn't had time to break in and loosen up.  It sounds great either strummed or fingerstyle, and the first night I had it I did a little recording and it records great.  It does all things well regardless of style.

Overall I'm very impressed with the guitar.  Charles Fox built great instruments and its too bad he's not building anymore.  I was looking for a more Martinish sound though, so I guess I should have bought a Martin.  The reason I didn't is that very few Martin dreads have a 1 3/4" nut.  The search never ends......

Zach

Zach
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 06:50:50 PM »

Zach I believe that Cfox is now having his design's made by the Patheon company,there the one's that make Bougiouse.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zach
Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 06:54:28 PM »

He was indeed doing that for a while, but not any more.  I'm not sure why he stopped, but as of right now there are no CFox guitars being made.  Mine was built before he teamed up with Pantheon.

Zach
Zach
Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 04:25:20 PM »

Looks like Charles has started building again....

http://www.charlesfoxguitars.com/

Zach
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 07:50:03 PM »

But the real ? is were are the pix???????

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zach
Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 08:05:55 PM »

Here it is:

Zach
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 08:57:22 PM »

VERY NICE INDEED B)  

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
jbird4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 09:41:17 PM »

Somebody get me a towel - I'm drooling here.......
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 06:03:19 PM »

What a nice looking dred. Is that standard size? Sound nice when you hit it hard, and when you play it softly?

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
Zach
Admin

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 02:42:53 PM »

Yeah it is a standard sized dread.  I changed the strings for the first time 2 days ago and my thoughts on the sound have changed somewhat.  I'm not sure what strings it shipped with, but I replaced them with Pearse 80/20 lights.  I would have put mediums on it, but I had some lights laying around.

Now I can see where the Martin comparisons come from.  The bass has increased quite a bit, but the high strings are still not overpowered.  It's not really a canon,  but it can get loud without breaking up if you hit it hard.  To me it sounds best with a medium attack.  Its perfectly capable for fingerstyle stuff, but there are other guitars that are better suited for it.

Overall, it's pretty much what I was wanting in a dread.  I'm sure that over time it will only get better, but for now it sounds great anyway.

Zach
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: